Off-topic, but wanted to share anyways: my fundraising campaign

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by walkingtheplank, Nov 19, 2019.

1. walkingtheplank

walkingtheplank Active Member

Aug 2, 2004
    wherever i am
    for those (most) who don't know, i'm an FAA certified drone pilot & have been shooting natural landscape footage over about 2.5 yrs for my website, https://healingthrunature.com (HTN). so far i've shot, produced & posted about 45 small clips on YouTube (more currently in production). ideally, i'd like to develop HTN into a streaming platform for people to access Nature through these short videos (plus longer ones) via mobile devices.

to that end, i've located a James Baroud roof tent for the purpose of saving money on lodging during a winter 2019-20 content gathering road trip to AZ, UT, CO & NM. problem is, the tent is $2k, & i'm not exactly flush for cash after several unexpected expenses during the last year or so.

thus, this GFM campaign was created to help fund the purchase. if your interest is piqued, the intro video gives a clear overview of HTN & my trip plans, so please watch it to the end. all that said, i appreciate everyone's time, & let the potshots begin...

https://bit.ly/2Kz7isx

John

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    DanSan likes this.
  2. floated

floated New Member

May 17, 2019
    Santa Barbara
    Get a part time job and save? I don’t get go fund me

Wade In The Waves and miscreant like this.
  3. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    you could though if you tried lol

walkingtheplank likes this.
  4. walkingtheplank

Aug 2, 2004
    wherever i am
    GoFundMe is for personal projects, medical/emergency costs & also biz startups that don't quite fit Kickstarter or Indiegogo's corporate parameters. guess i fall somewhere between personal project & startup @ this point.

5. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    I don't ever donate to Go Fund Me projects, but I will give you a little advice. I use the outdoors and other stuff to try and help me keep from my ultimate lows, which I have had a lot of over the last few years. I have two hardshell roof top tents. I paid a grand for both of them. They are CVT's I bought used when they were clearing out their warehouse. Call CVT and Tepui and see if they have any used ones sitting in their warehouse they are looking to sell. A lot of times they want to clear them out and they will work with you. It will save you some money and get you going and then you can figure out what your needs really end up being. The James Baroud is nice, but they are pricey.

6. walkingtheplank

Aug 2, 2004
    wherever i am
    fair enough - all those CVTs & Tepuis come f/Shenzhen anyways. this JB is a beautiful tent & is made in Portugal of much higher grade materials. thx for the advice...will look into it

7. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    I am very familiar with JB and just about many of the others out there. I did a lot of research and the customer service from CVT is absolutely amazing. I build Land Cruisers and really get out there too. I would put the two that I have up against the JB's. Most of these companies are constantly changing what they are doing with materials, which is why models get discontinued. When I need stuff or break stuff, I just save until I get going again. If you are a start up or going to do a nonprofit, I would look at a lot of the options out there to help you get started.

8. walkingtheplank

Aug 2, 2004
    wherever i am
    right on - my current status is probably pre-startup. currently researching funding sources for alternative biz models. my initial observation is that there’s no money in altruism f/a traditional investing mindset. of course this is all a work in progress, so hopefully i can put something together soon. thx for the lowdown on CVT - it is much appreciated

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  9. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
  10. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ