OCNJ Beach Replenishment

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by newlyn, Jun 18, 2020.

1. newlyn

newlyn Active Member

Jul 20, 2013
    USA Pennsylvania
    Chilly Willy and DJR like this.
  2. Spritzer

Spritzer Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    Got some done in Virginia Beach this year, love going from ankle to waist deep water instantly....

3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Educate yourself a bit on the cause and solution before you whine.

4. newlyn

newlyn Active Member

Jul 20, 2013
    USA Pennsylvania
    You mean like climate change due to emissions leading to sea level rise?

Really, erosion and “movement” of barrier islands is the natural course. This is trying to stop the natural course to protect real estate values. I guess if I owned property there I might feel differently, but I just go there to surf.

5. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Most of our beaches have been pumped and it’s terrible. Used to have tons of breaks, now we’re all crowded in 2-3 decent ones.
    I feel for u

DJR likes this.
  6. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Oh god...no

They did it at jax bch ..2011....ruined everything...
    Just didnt break like it used to...

Spritzer likes this.
  7. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I own property and pay flood premiums..because mortgage money is cheap right now but mortgage companies require flood coverage. I surf too. It's not just to protect property values either. Tourism is the single largest revenue generator in CMC. People come for the beaches...you know, to sit on them and stuff. No beaches=no people= no $$$. The beach is the economy in CMC.
    You can believe whatever you choose about the cause but than explain why the beach is over 500 yards wide in parts of Wildwood. I have observed beach replenishment where we live for 10 years now. Major dredging and offshore pumping and backpassing. Sometimes it fucks the break up and sometimes it improves it. Coin toss.
    But it's necessary. Whining about how it's unnatural is naive.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  8. Spritzer

Spritzer Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    When I was down in Jax last month... It was so nice having a beach you could just walk in the water and very gradually slope down.. Water you could actually play in with the kids, it was awesome

9. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    You have some valid points. One is the natural retreat of barrier islands over millions of years. Pretty clueless however about how replenishment affects local surfing conditions. In today’s world humans complain about EVERY THING. I’ve been surfing here since 1966. The rise in sea levels likely has more of an affect. The pumping will begin soon so please don’t paddle out in OCNJ. The sand will hurt your feet too much anyway. There also can be a positive like when the dredge broke down for 2 months about 6 years ago creating a hollow draining right point break. I have memories and pictures.

JMJackFish and PeakMaster like this.
  10. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Inspirational thought...why not start an advocacy group....”Remove the Jetties”.

PeakMaster likes this.