NYC, the reality

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Tenfooter, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    UPDATE

So this is it, my last day here in NYC. May be I ll come later on, if there's a "second wave".
    Time to go home and re-start a normal life.
    Things really calm down a lot here; no new cases, not the mayhem of those first weeks.
    But the scene here in ICU is horrific. All those poor guys who survived ( barely) are now in a bad shape.
    And literally one after another , they all go. It is a really sad time. Just a few recovered and we were able to send to the floor.
    But the rest, will never leave the hospital alive. And gets even worst, some of them they die alone, connected to a million things, far away from their loved ones.
    Crazy times. Yesterday we rounded on 7 patients on our service, and the 7 of them will not make it .Hands down. All ages and shapes, but all of them are super sick and
    cannot be oxygenated. This virus what it does is produce a terrible inflammatory reaction to the lungs, which will lead to fibrosis of the lungs. So you cannot have gas exchange, hence, you cannot oxygenate them .
    And that starts around 2-3 weeks into the disease. And the lungs changes from being an elastic sponge, into a brick , with zero compliance.
    And we tried EVERYTHING, but the nature of the beast always wins. We are really ignorants shooting in the dark,from the hip, trying to patch holes in a boat that has a million holes.
    But I know a vaccine will come up, or someone will find the molecular receptor that can be targeted; and hopefully this shit will be cured with a pill. As simple as that.
    I have to call the family and give them updates, and I can feel on the other side of the line, their desperation to listen to good news, their hope and faith . So they ask me oxygen values and specific numbers that someone at some point mentioned to them. But I cannot lie to them, Is a horrible thing to do. I wish I had better news to tell them. But I don't.

On the positive side, I got a couple of great saves, who despite all odds, they made it safe home.
    And those are the stories I will tell my kids. Those people inspired me that anything is possible.
    Some day to the ones who surf with me, you 'll listen to some of them.

And there's swell leftover in RI, that hopefully will pick up again Monday.

and with this, I will close this chapter, and go for another 12 hours of trying everything, and pray for the best.
    Thanks to everyone who wished good things. Direct those wishes to those people who are still fighting it. They are the ones who need support. And their families.

And at the end of the day, open a good Malbec, kiss your kids, your loved ones, and thank that you are sleeping in your bed.
    Because in my book, those are the only important things in life. The rest, is just a bonus.

Chau
    Great waves
    Aloha!!!

2. bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04 Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    True hero @Tenfooter

looking forward to surfing with you in RI.

Pointbreak, Griffy and Bighouse like this.
  3. Griffy

Griffy Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I can only imagine the horror you have experienced over the last few months and hope you are able to find peace
    after all you have witnessed. My best wishes to you and your family as you begin to return to a normal life. Thank you

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  4. sightpoint

sightpoint Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Thanks a million for helping out here. Wear your masks, everybody.

Andrew Johnson likes this.
  5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    all the pathetic 'freedom of choice' arguments just turn into ash when the man fighting the battle to save lives states explicitly just how friggin bad this virus is, what it's doing to it's victims.

Massive respect and props, Tenfooter...

russneversleeps likes this.
  6. strez

strez Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    Hat's off to you, sir!!!
    Thanks for your work! Make sure you have supports around you or available for your own post-experience processing.
    Hope you get some well-earned R&R!

7. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Thanks for doing what you do. Be safe and mostly be well. You need some time to rest maybe car has a couple of clean waves.