Not Politics, Current Events...

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
fairy-creek-1-5582789-1631494108749.jpg
Anyone else surf Port Renfrew, Vancouver Island, BC ? How About Sombrio Beach?
Before the ancient forests at Sombrio were decimated it was a truly magical rainforest, reef break and cobble beach experience. Some of my most cherished memories were there and nearby. Land that is in dispute between Indigenous people (Coast Salish) and others is scheduled for clear cutting and many hundreds of land protectors have been arrested and physically assaulted by the authorities. Take a minute away from lusting after your next stick to consider the value of ancient forests to the health of the planet.

Google 'Fairy Creek' if interested.

Last edited:

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
At my age, too much of the thinking I do is remembering. I remember helping to make a traditional canoe, paddling (and sailing) it and learning about the seamanship of the coastal Indians north of the Columbia River.
Capt Cook wrote that their watercraft were the fastest he encountered in his travels.
Sharp eyed observers will note the forward keel on their dug-outs. The rear was broad and flattened and steering was accomplished by skidding the tail left or right with an oversize paddle. Took a strong helmsman on the larger canoes...
Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
I hear you man

Here we have to move away from fossil fuels for energy and the majority of coal burning plants have been transformed into bio-fuel setups.

The bio fuel itself unfornutaley comes from ancients forests from around the globe and is transported here using massive amounts of fossil fuels because shipping isnt taken into account for our nations emmisions quota.

Its insane

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
Those mature trees, or ancient forests if you like, they're regulating the temperature, turning greenhouse gases into oxygen, controlling erosion, capturing moisture from the air and creating habitat for many species, including the indigenous population. Northwest Coastal tribes used those giant red cedars for their homes, their canoes, tools, artwork, etc., and they worshipped them.
In comes Wall Street, who controls big timber companies, and they worship the rapid return on investment. Period.
And elected officials kiss their butts to keep the money flowing.