Noseriding Fin Question

RATZAX

Jun 7, 2010
I got back into surfing about 6 months ago after a long lay off.

I used to Noseride alot on my Hansen 50/50 and I am Noseriding now on My 9'6 Don Takayama In The Pink.

When I got the board it came with the three fins installed and I have been riding it that way for 6 months.

Getting to the nose is not a problem. I am just wondering if I should remove the side fins??

Will it trim easier w/o the side fins?

applekat

Jul 31, 2007
R...

for what THIS is worth...

(and mind you...i DONT get to the nose...)

(..this only get's better folks...)

but...

i had a 9'3 ITP..........................*coughsnortsurftech...it'strue*...

and i stuck a 9" MD3 on it and swiped off the bites....and...

well..it was--in my opinion--a TON more fun........it held well...oodles easier to turn--without feeling too too sloppy...

that's the best i can explain it.

at the very least...it made FL mush feel much much better...

mind you...lemme repeat...i DONT go to the nose...but from an amateurish perspective...simply put...it made it...well..."fun-ner".:D:D:D

either way...take 'em off.;)

dstud

Sep 7, 2007
I had a 9'6 ITP for a while. I took it to Costa and the 2+1 setup it came with *magically* disappeared out of my board bag behind the curtain in the Orlando airport. I through a 9" hatchet fin in it and hated it.

Its all personal preference in my opinion. I had no problem noseriding either setup but really preferred the 2+1. More pop off the bottom turns and a smoother overall feel to me (which is weird because I normally avoid 2+1 setups as much as possible). Try it both ways and you'll know!

applekat

Jul 31, 2007
dstud wrote:
I had a 9'6 ITP for a while. I took it to Costa and the 2+1 setup it came with *magically* disappeared out of my board bag behind the curtain in the Orlando airport. I through a 9" hatchet fin in it and hated it.

Its all personal preference in my opinion. I had no problem noseriding either setup but really preferred the 2+1. More pop off the bottom turns and a smoother overall feel to me (which is weird because I normally avoid 2+1 setups as much as possible). Try it both ways and you'll know!
sweet jeezus D!...yer undermining my meager reply!:?:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

however...you make a good point...just try both ways.....its true, R...youll know..;)

FirstPointEric

May 9, 2010
USA California and Nashville, TNN
I've tried tons of fins in my boards and for noseriding, my favorites are the Sparky, the Greenough Stage 6 and the standard "Orca" fin on Boss boards. The Sparky, as I've said before in a related post, is my go-to fin, as I find is has the perfect combination of drive out of turns--it's not stiff like some rudders I've used--and, best of all it's got great hold for noseriding, both in easy breaking waves and when it gets steep.

The one pictured below, a 9.5", while it's for sale, is probably a tad big for a 9'6". For your board, I'd probably go for an 8.5" or maybe a 9" and ditch the side fins, but that's me; I don't know where or how you surf, so keep 'em in if you like 'em. I've heard great things about the ITP, so try it with and without and see what works for yuz.

I use either a 9.5" or 10" Sparky in my boards, but I'm mainly running sticks in the 10'6" range. I'm not real big (6'0", 205) or anything, I just like the speed I get from the extra waterline and weight. I can't lie and say I don't like the extra paddle power. I do. ;)

I'll take pictures of the Stage 6 and the Boss fin tomorrow and post 'em up.

Attached files

Miles

Feb 6, 2006
USA
There a kid (Tegan) over here that has a 9.6 ITP that is a great noserider and surfs it as a single fin all of the time. He and some buddies went to California with me a couple of summers ago and made this movie of themselves and a couple of other Texans living out there while we were there:

http://vimeo.com/5813090

He's regular footed and is usually on the clear board with the pink nose in the video which is his ITP. He knee paddles the crap out of it but he's 5'9" and 135 lbs. He was using a Heritage when the video was made. The other day he got a 9.6 SilverSpoon and when we were talking about it, he mentioned he was using another single fin in the ITP now but I can't remember what it is. The skinny little bastich went to La Saladita last Saturday and I'll have to wait till he gets back to find out what is it (he's a great kid actually:cool:).

NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
Try a true ames Slick fin. Tip of fin even or slightly off the tail.

If you want it a little looser, you can never go wrong with a greenough 4a

FirstPointEric

May 9, 2010
USA California and Nashville, TNN
Here are some more popular noseriding designs. First is the Heritage-style rudder. This one was a bit too stiff for me, i.e., it doesn't bend off much and to me doesn't add enough thrust out of turns. Others love this fin.

Four more will follow.

Attached files