Nicaragua vs Costa Rica for a Surf/Yoga Trip

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by ElBrooklyn, Mar 17, 2018.

1. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations for trying to find a spot where I can surf and my girlfriend can stretch? Or for which location might be better for waves?

Right now we're debating between spots in Playa Maderas, Nic, and Tamarindo, CR.

Any insight appreciated.

2. japsom

japsom Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    USA California
    deleted. wrong thread. maybe i need to browse with one tab at a time.

3. Lycokayaker

Lycokayaker Active Member

Sep 21, 2017
    NJ
    never surfed either to be honest..... However was looking at going to Mark and Daves place in Nicaragua in a few weeks last minute get away and they offer surf and yoga... Best of both worlds?

ElBrooklyn likes this.
  4. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    You might consider Nosara Costa Rica. It's a yoga hotspot and the surf is more consistent than Tamarindo.

Tamarindo is great as well with several breaks nearby (one right out front), one across the river (grande) and avellanas 30 minutes up the road. There are places in town for yoga as well.

Getting around Tamarindo is easy and doesn't require a car. Nosara, you'll need a car. There is more to do in Tamarindo, but still plenty of options in Nosara. There is a dead season in Nosara when many things close in Sept and Oct and I wouldn't recommend going at that time.

If you decide on Tamarindo and are interested in guided surf tours, the witch's rock surf camp is a lot of fun and good value.

Have fun!

ElBrooklyn likes this.
  5. glider_boy

glider_boy Active Member

Apr 14, 2011
    SD
    Haven't spent time in Tamarindo, but have spent time in Nosara and agree it's definitely a huge yoga hot-spot.

Playa Guiones (main beach in town) is a long stretch of beachbreak. You can get by without a car there (assuming you get a driver to and from airport) if you stay in town and confine your surfing to that beach. It's super-reliable and a fun break, but not Pavones or anything like that quality-wise. If you want other surf options, agree you'll need a car.

It's been several years since I have been to Nosara, so not sure what crowds are like these days. It's been buzzy for quite a while tho.

ThinTheHerd and ElBrooklyn like this.
  6. 306Bing

306Bing Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    I went to Solid Surf Adventure, in Nicaragua last November after Thanksgiving. Not the best time for waves, but we surfed every day and had a blast. I'm 54 and fairly active and went with some local NJ guys and some late 20-year-olds from NYC that one of us works with. Both age groups had fun surfing and spearfishing. Food was good, drinks included. Yoga was included, but since none of us cared about it we did not set it up. We did not leave the resort for other breaks. Not because of fear, but waves were good enough right out front. They pick up and drop off at airport which is good for avoiding local police looking for a handout. The best part of the place is locals are cool and waves for everyone. Not crowded at all.

Here's link to the place:
    http://www.solidsurfadventure.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3aeFuo332QIVQlmGCh2t8Q8CEAAYASAAEgIegPD_BwE

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    pintail and ElBrooklyn like this.
  7. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    I’ve been to CR to surf a couple of times. First time I travelled around including tamarindo and down to Santa Teresa. Surf at Ollie’s Point was epic but tamarindo is a total dump of a town. Like a mini TJ. Santa Teresa was a lot nicer and on my second trip I went back there. Neither place is cheap though.

ThinTheHerd likes this.
  8. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Playa Guiones is a good spot. Pure beach break so no the longest of waves, but I've been twice and we had great surf both times. We walked around mostly but rented a car to get to further restaurants. If heading solo, the Harbor Reef Hotel is a decent spot.

Be sure to lock up your stuff. Someone got into our house the last trip and cleaned us out. We weren't careful at all so it was our fault as well. Get lulled into the laid back vibe sometimes. Lesson learned.

9. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    Thanks for all the tips, Jam-dudes. We decided on Tamarindo as we know somebody who lives local and will hook us up with rides and surf guides. Staying at the Vista Villas, which is apparently a short walk to the beach and to the cross-estuary ferry to Playa Grande.

Now just gotta make sure JetBlue delivers my board in one piece....

10. xyzzy

xyzzy Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Encinitas, CA
    +1 for witchs rock surf camp. This year will be our 6th year doing a big group trip there (15-25 people), and we continue to go every year for a reason. Nothing like Ollie's on a head high day!