New York in early September

dsquare

May 16, 2013
USA Hawaii
My youngest kid has decided to go to school in NY (LIU -Brooklyn). So my wife and I are headed there to drop her off. Wife wants to surf at least once while we are there. Recommendations for rental shop and break to get to. Should we just take the Subway out and back? Not sure I want to rent a car but will if needed.

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
If you take the train down to Jersey (90 minutes or so from NY penn station) you can borrow some boards and we’ll (hopefully) find some waves

Reactions: TEO

justsomedude

Feb 12, 2020
Los Angeles
If you don't want to rent a car, you can take the A or E train or the ferry to the Rockaways. Never rented a board there, but there are plenty of places near the beach where you can. During the summer you can surf any jetty along the beach before 10 am, otherwise it's 90th st or the 60's.

Water temps will be warm still, maybe 3/2 or trunks and a jacket?

kpd73

May 8, 2013
USA Rhode Island
Warm. Boardshorts should be good. Like the above post says, maybe a top. I can pm with more details if you like. You're welcome to borrow a board from me if we can work it out, too. Hopefully you'll see some solid swell! NY gets good in the fall.

A couple from Hawaii...?

Borrow/buy a couple 3/2's or 2mil on the cheap. Water might be okay, but cloudy/early morning with North in the wind?
I'm 48yrs and the least I surf in is a 2mil long leg short sleeve for everything except mid day and fast longboard sessions.

sightpoint

Jan 28, 2014
2' and onshore
A couple from Hawaii...?

Borrow/buy a couple 3/2's or 2mil on the cheap. Water might be okay, but cloudy/early morning with North in the wind?
I'm 48yrs and the least I surf in is a 2mil long leg short sleeve for everything except mid day and fast longboard sessions.
True, but you're north of me. :D I get cold easily and I'm usually good in trunks and a 2mm long sleeve jacket for the first couple weeks in September. That said, you're right... when we get upwellings, it can be chilly.

dubstar

Nov 9, 2019
Early September the water in New York will be the warmest it gets. Unless you get cold easily, you won't need more than a L/S spring suit. Maybe a 3/2 but you'll be overheating in anything more. Late September can be a lot cooler. Rockaway will probably have more rental options, but if you're looking for a "Jamboards" style board, you probably want to check with Joe Falcone at the Almeda Club. Not sure anyone rents anything other than foamies in Long Beach. These photos are September 15th last year:

IMG_6007.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

Makawaosurfer93

Feb 15, 2007
USA New Jersey
Lived in Hawaii for 13+ years and trunks until late September here in NJ. 60+ years old. Hate wetsuits and stay out of them as long as possible. Like others have said, no need rent boards there are plenty of us here that you folks can borrow from.