New scammers welcome to the forum.Please screw us.

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Tenfooter, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    WTF is going on?
    Tons of new members, unknown to everyone.
    Some of them scammers.
    Some not.
    And WTF are we doing about it?
    Jack shit.
    This is a recurrent issue and looks like no one cares.
    Some of the members here exercise internet muscles trying to show off in front of the computer, or others are cops wanna be, and so on.
    but it was to be a cool place where we all enjoyed reading, posting, gathering, etc.
    Now is like a shit show.
    I see new members posting boards right and left. no one checks them.
    They post whatever TF they want, without respecting the ‘ usual rules’ we have here, no one cares.
    What’s next?we are going to start seeing:

hey, make $35/hour working from home
    Email me at jamboard-scammer@gmail.com

In the boards for sale section

or some other non surf related crap

LogFather likes this.
  2. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Soquel,CA
    I saw the one on ypur ad..
    Name them ....thus we can ignore..

elFlaco likes this.
  3. waveslider619

waveslider619 Active Member

Sep 8, 2017
    SD
  4. Spritzer

Spritzer Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    Artisan fin coop.. ohhhh man, how fun.

I think there a few potential solutions, they've all probably been mentioned before.

-Membership by invite only
    -30 day period (or insert time length here) of only viewing threads and not posting. May not fully prevent scammers but may potentially reduce some.
    -More active admins or make additional admin(s) from some of you that have been here forever and are well known among the group.
    -It's the internet and the site will potentially keep growing and scammers will always be out there, so it is what it is.

walkingtheplank, DJR and Tenfooter like this.
  5. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Soquel,CA
    He disappeared quick after my unfavorable test ride of his celestial
    Ark of a fin...
    Maybe it was Roy??

PeakMaster likes this.
  6. Tenfooter

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    I enjoy that too
    That guy is crazy as shit
    But with good intentions

7. Tenfooter

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    I love your ideas
    But most people here are passive
    And accept that is the way it is
    A few have balls to step up and say clearly this is bs Amd we have to do something
    Defending the administrator will not fix shit
    Being passive and let shitry people infect our sacred place Sucks

Is like accepting that sewage is contaminating our beaches
    Amd still doing nothing while swimming around turds

Lame
    So lame

8. glidewaves

glidewaves Active Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA New Jersey,Maryland
    Yeah agreed. And the redundant video ads are getting more intrusive too.

DJR and Spritzer like this.
  9. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Is total non-engagement a plausible action? For example new person comes in asking for info, wanting to buy or sell, whatever- a few posts (maybe less) in, this person seems to be fishing for something or just here to take advantage of another way to sell and in no way partake in the conversation - if we don’t engage then they will go away - or will this drag on and more and folks pop in and out who have no real interest in what this virtual parking lot hang out actually does... ( at any rate it worked with a couple of my cousins and a meth’d up neighbor years ago)- Or do you put a make it a membership request site ( as it was before my time) again or maybe charge an up front 35.00? Or a monthly script fee say like EOS of a few bucks a month- And as my paragraph has solved nothing I will say I have seen increased traffic over the last say 2 years of people who are just using this as another sale site and I believe that’s doing a disservice to those of us who use Jamboards as a resource for design, history, nostalgia, buying selling, sharing tragedy and laughing hard. These days this is my parking lot at my local-
    And the video ads are pretty bad by the way

Andrew Johnson likes this.
  10. dr flavors

dr flavors Active Member

Jul 21, 2019
    ca
    my 2 cents so take it for what it’s worth... bout nothing

lurked on this board for prolly 10 yrs before I got motivated to pm a member about a board and joined up. Glad the mod ditched the $5 sign up fee otherwise I might have shined it.

deal is, as crappy as it may sound, you got to take responsibility for your interactions. Nobody gives 2 shits about saving your ass from the trolls.

It’s a big connected world out there full of more people than you can count. Most of them have way less than every single member of this forum. and some of them (which adds up to a fuckton) with nothing but an internet connection and time to figure out where their next meal is coming from.

best to quit the whining and the hyperbole about the loss of your fantasy sacred digital clique and get on with being stoked that your still drawing breath and catching a few waves. Which is about as much dumb luck that anyone could ever ask for.