New Hampshire surf trip

ted

Aug 25, 2008
USA California
Hey New Englanders
I am planning a trip to New Hampshire surf spots in January. I know the air & water will be freezing so please post any tips you can. I plan on buying a THICK wetsuit w/ built-in hood, booties, and gloves.
What brand works best?
What thickness, 6/5/4 or 5/4?
I normally take hot water in jugs to rinse off and change, or do you guys just drive home wearing your wetsuits?

thanks for any suggestions.

Ted
from Sunny Southern California

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
Hi Ted,
First off let’s pray for swell while you are here. Personally I wear O’Neill Hyperfreak 5.5/4+ with 5mm Xcel claws and 7mm boots. The locals change at home Im 1 hr away so I suit up when I get there and bring a gallon of hot water wrapped in towels to rinse off after my session. The water most likely will be in the 40’s at that time and the air could be below 0 to 60’s as it’s new England so you just never know. Swell could be loggin to nor’easter swell and anything in between. If you need anything and I can be of assistance hit me up.

Scott S

Sep 23, 2018
NH
Hi Ted, I'm in NH. I wear both 5/4 and 6/5/4 excels, 5mil gloves, 6mil boots. Like shady said, weather is a toss up. Mid-January often brings a week thaw when temps are in the 40s or 50s, but we could also have a long cold snap with temps topping out at 20. Just never know. When I lived closer to the water I'd drive to and from suited up. Now I'm an hour inland and change at the car. Usually it's not a big deal, but a big wind can make it brutal.

Maine Logger

Apr 28, 2021
Maine
Hi Ted, similar to above, a 5.5/4.5 excel, boots and gloves have been good to me all winters for a 2hr + session. Unfortunately I can’t find a replacement comp x and mines gettin worn out. @shadydave How’s the hyperfreak been for you?

Last edited:

Syncro

Nov 1, 2021
Ocean Beach
I grew up surfing Lake Superior in Michigan and we would wear 6/5 or some variation, I've always preached Xcel stuff for suits. With 7mm mitts, 10mm Booties.
Tips:
1. For Suits try to find a suit with a stiffer bill, helps block wind/spray but when ice builds up won't flop and hit you in the face.
2. Mitts are far better than gloves for obvious reasons
3. Put suit sleeves/pant legs over the gloves and boots
4. Thermos of hot water helps a ton
5. I would put chapstick on my lips/cheeks to avoid wind burn
6. Duck dives can give icecream headaches... oh well.
7. If your feet get cold flex your feet like you're doing calf raises on land.

Post surf tips:
Post surf depending your core temp will like be down thick quality wool socks. You're warmest sweater/flannel and sweat pants will love you. Soul points if you got some hot soup in a thermos waiting in the car after. Kind of like a beer after a surf in CA.

Macilious

Jun 15, 2010
Hey New Englanders
I am planning a trip to New Hampshire surf spots in January. I know the air & water will be freezing so please post any tips you can. I plan on buying a THICK wetsuit w/ built-in hood, booties, and gloves.
What brand works best?
What thickness, 6/5/4 or 5/4?
I normally take hot water in jugs to rinse off and change, or do you guys just drive home wearing your wetsuits?

thanks for any suggestions.

Ted
from Sunny Southern California
WHY?!!? And that's a serious question. Novelty? Bucket list?