Need help to ID windsurf box

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by garagefull, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    That Angulo fin was a pricey piece of fin in its day. Just go to True Ames site to see what fins like that are fetching today, it'll blow your mind.

2. 306Bing

306Bing Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    we gotta get to the bottom of it.

3. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    I was going to say use it the set boxes in. If it was pricey then some windsurfer would probably be stoked to pay.

4. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    The whole sport has changed since I was living it on a daily basis. Windsurfing largely fell away by 1990 when the economy went soft, then kiteboarding came in - which allowed you to power up and get on a plane in the water sooner than sailboards could. (White caps develop in the ocean or large freshwater venues) at around a wind blowing of 10-12 knots with some topographical exceptions)

There are still pockets of windsurfers around in areas like SF Bay, Columbia River Gorge, Hookipa, and exotic wind destinations, and the Fins Unlimited box is still in use in customs albeit lightweight molded production boards took over the market near the end of my run (1980-1990). I was paid handsomely to design/shape some of the molded companies boards that their team riders rode.

But that didn't last forever.

The beginning of the end, was when their technology started catching up to what we could make in a custom sailboard. Eventually their boards got lighter & stronger & stiffer. I had been known as one of the leading edge designers making the Ferrari's of the day.

Those companies had me start making them to be all white or with a few graphics, so they would look exactly like molded boards. Then they ran huge ads in the magazines and took control of the sport with their marketing clout while selling their popouts to the masses.

5. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    The more I look at that thing, I think it is just some metal stock that a guy grabbed, maybe did some machining and drilled the holes in it to fit into whatever recessed track was in a molded production board that was produced in the late 80's, early 90's. After that, windsurfing kinda died.

6. ParSurf

ParSurf Active Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    I was hoping it was a tuttle box so I could win the prize!

7. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Ha, Tuttle's are totally different.

ParSurf likes this.
  8. ParSurf

ParSurf Active Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    I rode Hyper techs back then. They all had Tuttle boxes. Lot of dills too. My dad was a windsurfing instructor in the early eighties. Grew up windsurfing from crow butte to kalama. Those were some good days.

9. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Hypertech - Craig Maisonville. Carpenter originally from the Great Lakes area as I recall. They got very popular. Ed (Angulo) made the move to HI and did well. Of course the Naish family conquered, and John Price ended up heading up the Sailboards Maui customs where my polisher Dave Bernsten end up after moving with his sweetheart Shawneen (who broke his heart when she ended up marrying Matt Schweitzer). C'est la vie!

I shaped for different guys like Rob Hawley (rode for F2 or Fanatic). He was in one of the first Olympic Exhibitions or whatnot, and of course Brett Lickle for surfsailing and Nils Stolzlechner who was half Austrian and had been on their Olympic team as a downhill jumper. Dill was all Gorge with Bruce Swanson of Cascade. Bruce Jones did great stuff & became a really good sailor (rip). Down in San Diego it was Seebold and Topper. I remember one of my guys being down in Baja and he told me he ran into them. They looked at his board and said, "your shaper windsurfs doesn't he"?

They could tell by the rocker. You had to really windsurf yourself to nail the magic stuff. The guys I know that tried to do them just by shaping big surfboards never made it.

10. ParSurf

ParSurf Active Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    I was just a grommet! I’m sure my dad would go down memory lane no problemo! I do remember Robby’s van with the palm trees on the back though, ha

Bruce Fowler likes this.