Name that board.

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SurfOC, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes, as I recall the pop outs all looked like that.

SurfOC likes this.
  2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I spotted that too, and your comment was way funnier than whatever I was going to toss out there.

Macilious and SurfOC like this.
  3. SurfOC

SurfOC New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    NJ
    I'll check it when I get back home. Thank you.

4. Backyard B

Backyard B Member

Mar 10, 2020
    Virginia Beach
    Looks very similar to this board: the blue, the fin. I bet that wider stringer is fake, maybe the skinnier stringer too. Is the board heavy, mine was. Looks like a pop out; probably is. Mine paddled like a battleship, and when it got moving it caught pretty much any thing. I had to turn mine only from the tail, noseriding was tough but not impossible. Steep waves might not be your friend with that board. I got raked over the coals on swaylocks for buying a 'popout' but I learned a lot and eventually traded it for cash/board. Enjoy. PS. I didn't add the fin plug and it originally didn't have one at all.
    hawaiian1.jpg hawaiian2.jpg hawaiin3.jpg

deemce and SurfOC like this.
  5. SurfOC

SurfOC New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    NJ
    Thanks for the info. Yes, this has some weight to it, not a tank but there is some momentum here. Purchased specifically for down the line small, clean days when it's crowded and I don't want to worry about getting dings on my pretty boards. ;)

6. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    That was my knee jerk reaction too. It has the look of a popout which some actually were done pretty well. As a little gremmie before I owned my own surfboard, my brother's friend had a "Ten Toes" which I believe also made "Shark" & "Tiki". Might have been "Parkway" as the parent company? I thought they also made "Duke Kahanamoku" but I might be wrong. The Ten Toes had a weird rocker up front, I'd swear it was slightly negative (!?!!) but it rode the nose well @ Campus Cove...

SurfOC likes this.
  7. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Parkway made diving wet suits which we used to surf in. They were, I believe, headquartered in Perth Amboy, NJ not far from where I lived as a boy. They didn't do boards that I am aware of, but it is certainly possible.

SurfOC likes this.
  8. SurfOC

SurfOC New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    NJ
    Took her out yesterday. Yes, turn from the tale only. It took me about 5 waves to figure it out, however I was able to catch a few 3' clean waves and she locked in nice. Was definitely taking on water so I'll have to do some further fixes but definitely a fun board for crowded days.

9. SurfOC

SurfOC New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    NJ
    Yes, overlapped glass and extra cloth around fin. Good eye.

10. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    "overlapped glass and extra cloth around fin"

Well, not a "pop out" as we knew them here in Florida. Most, if not all, of the pop-outs we had were molded. Crappy instantly turn yellow foam, put in a mold and covered with a layer, or two, of mat. No "glass", just mat. The rails were not lapped. In many cases, you had to sand down the rails a bit where the sharp mold flashing was left.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    SurfOC likes this.