Mysto Christenson I picked up/quiver shot

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by kclibman, Aug 22, 2018.

1. kclibman

kclibman Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Carried over from the Craigslist thread. 6'8" Dauntless with sand opaque tint, reverse cutlap with resin matched bottom, glassed in 8" fin, resin art on deck, glass leash loop, signed bottom.

The seller received it as a gift from her boyfriend, who said it was made by Chris for the Chipotle in Malibu. They broke up, she wanted to unload it, so here we are. It's similar to another Chipotle Christenson that was sold at auction back in 2012, link here. I'm going to reach out to Chris to try to get some backstory on it. It has a couple small shatters around the nose but is otherwise super clean. I'm not huge on gloss-and-polish midlengths but I dig it - it's my first Dauntless so I'm super curious to get input on it.

IMG_2684.JPG
    IMG_2681.JPG
    IMG_2683.JPG
    IMG_2686.JPG
    IMG_2685.JPG
    IMG_2682.JPG

Also went ahead and rearranged the garage tonight; pulled out all of my Christensons. @Surfin64 is familiar with my addiction to these things.
    Clockwise from upper left:
    - 7'2" pintail C-Bucket, just triangle logo (don't really like the flex fin in it, hence the 1978 Rainbow fin)
    - 6'8" Dauntless
    - 5'8" keel fish
    - 5'6" Ocean Racer (haven't gotten it out yet but will this weekend)
    - 9'4" Bonneville (all the trimmings; double 1/4" cedar stringer, pinlines, all Volan, gloss-and-polish, glassed-in D fin, glass leash loop, Volan tail patch)
    - 5'9" Warchild (the "back of the truck" board)
    - 6'10" OG C-Bucket (roundtail, glass leash loop, deck patch, glassed on quads made by Ration, a short-lived Japanese foam-core fin company - this was Chris' personal he made for a Costa Rica trip in 2010)
    20180822_192729.jpg
    20180822_193117.jpg

If y'all have any other Christensons lying around out there, let me know, I've got a trade item (not pictured) just sitting in the garage that may be what you're looking for.

2. Surfin64

Surfin64 Member

Jul 23, 2014
    USA California
    Most impressive. I am aware of the addiction ...but now I see why.

3. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Have you seen the Surfer Rosa? That shape looks like interesting. Not much information on it, other than Nautilus rails and Skip/Dif influence.

4. Flip756

Flip756 Active Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
  5. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
  6. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    I only have 2 Christenson logs, I am jealous of your quiver.

7. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    Damn dude! Sick rack of boards man. Guess I'm no longer going to post my 7'2 Walden Mega Magic I got from McDonalds to celebrate the return of the McRib.

My buddy out here runs a 6'0 C-Hawk with Aipa twins and practically skips to and from the surf with unbridled joy every session on it. That board Rules.
    We talked about a Dauntless once and he simply said- "Serious board for serious waves."

Interested in hearing about your Ocean Racer. Haven't heard a bad review yet.

8. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
  9. kclibman

kclibman Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    @JMJackFish, I have not had a SR yet, though I am curious about them. Dig that plan shape a lot.

@Patrick Riley thanks man! I dig his logs for sure, a glider is next on my list.

@kpd73 Thanks for the kind words man; I've had a C-Hawk with glass-on keels and it was unfortunately a little small for me - 5'5" with a light glassing schedule and I never got it quite dialed. I feel like that was a board I'd love at 5'8" or so. As for the Ocean Racer, I took it out in some L.A. slop the other day and while not a session worth judging character on, I can say that it does have a ton of float for its size and turns very, very hard for the width of that tail.

I saw that Nautilus - I'm going to be unloading my Andreini Serena Pin soon and using the cash to pick up a Nautilus. A long fish, quad or otherwise, has been on my mind for a while and I love the look of that one!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    JMJackFish likes this.