Moving to NorCal (from Ventura) - Looking for Santa Cruz Info

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
We've been renting in Ventura for four years but last Monday my fiance said we needed to go look at a home outside of the Lake Tahoe basin so we packed up the car, drove 6.5 hours north, toured the home, and we were back in Ventura with an offer in on the house by 11:30 a.m. the next day.

Part of buying in the Tahoe area is the easy day drive back down to our breaks here in Ventura but we're excited to explore more of the Santa Cruz area breaks!

If anyone has recommendations for a fun summer longboard wave in the area I'd love to chat! I can't imagine we'll be doing much surfing outside of summer up north - we're warm water people by nature but hopefully summer in Santa Cruz isn't too much cooler than winter in Ventura?

Also welcoming sustainable sushi recommendations in the bay area/Santa Cruz.

We went to Santa Cruz two years ago for a long weekend and really enjoyed it. I went to a John Brown's Body show in San Francisco when I lived in Tahoe 5 years ago and really did not like San Francisco but I'm willing to give it another shot and try and dig it!

Thanks in advance!

Mahalo y'all,
Kirk

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
congrats on the new home...good year...new home...hawaii vacation!!!! cheers
Thanks, friend! We swore we wouldn't buy a home in this market but when everything lines up the way that it did, we couldn't pass it up!

My fiance saw the home within 4 hours of when it was listed and it just happened to go up on the only day of the week that we don't work our usual schedule so we could make the drive - otherwise we would have missed it and it would have sold to any of several other offers!

lashSD

Apr 24, 2021
San Diego
Jack's and Cowell's are the approachable family friendly log spots in town. You'll for sure be surfing with 100 of your closest friends though. From there you'll see other town waves that can suit your fancy. Drive up the coast to get more raw swell and exposure, does get affected by wind more easily though.

Nalu

Jan 19, 2021
Gualala, CA
Pleasure Point is my ultimate favorite in Santa Cruz! Across the Bay are Del Monte Beach and the Pier in Monterey that can be fun. Lover's Point in Pacific Grove is a really great left on good swell conditions.

joeblackuz

Apr 15, 2005
I really loved Zum Sushi over in pacific grove when we were there a few years back

lashSD

Apr 24, 2021
San Diego
we're warm water people by nature but hopefully summer in Santa Cruz isn't too much cooler than winter in Ventura?
Oh yea regarding water temp it pretty much maxes out at 60 in town in the summer/fall, north of town stays pretty cold because it's out of the bay. you can get away with a short trunk sesh during a heat wave but it's pretty much full suit season year round.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
We've been renting in Ventura for four years but last Monday my fiance said we needed to go look at a home outside of the Lake Tahoe basin so we packed up the car, drove 6.5 hours north, toured the home, and we were back in Ventura with an offer in on the house by 11:30 a.m. the next day.

Part of buying in the Tahoe area is the easy day drive back down to our breaks here in Ventura but we're excited to explore more of the Santa Cruz area breaks!

If anyone has recommendations for a fun summer longboard wave in the area I'd love to chat! I can't imagine we'll be doing much surfing outside of summer up north - we're warm water people by nature but hopefully summer in Santa Cruz isn't too much cooler than winter in Ventura?

Also welcoming sustainable sushi recommendations in the bay area/Santa Cruz.

We went to Santa Cruz two years ago for a long weekend and really enjoyed it. I went to a John Brown's Body show in San Francisco when I lived in Tahoe 5 years ago and really did not like San Francisco but I'm willing to give it another shot and try and dig it!

Thanks in advance!

Mahalo y'all,
Kirk
I lived in Ventura county for over 53 years and finally pulled up stakes in 2017. Housing costs in Ventura are on beyond ridiculous and the vibe in the area has gone downhill in the last 20 years for sure. Lake Tahoe is one of my most favorite places on the planet so congratulations there. A lot of my childhood memories were when we spent our summer there. Great place. My closest beach is Cayucos on the central coast. My old surf buddy has been living in the San Francisco area for over 30 years now and is doing as much surfing there as he was in Ventura county. So there has to be a number of spots up there to go.

Prior to my leaving Ventura county, I started to notice how "windy" that place has become especially in the months of March, April and May. Other than the Santa Ana's and the occasional on shore blows, it has never been that windy before. Climate change has really affected that place in my opinion.

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
Prior to my leaving Ventura county, I started to notice how "windy" that place has become especially in the months of March, April and May. Other than the Santa Ana's and the occasional on shore blows, it has never been that windy before. Climate change has really affected that place in my opinion.

The wind! We live on Pierpont and most of our neighbors that live her full time grew up here and they all say the same thing - especially our neighbors that surf.

We've only been here for four years but something about the wind this last March and April (so far) has been really, really noticeable. My fiance was out of town and I sent her a postcard on the ninth day she was gone and it had been blowing hard for nine days straight.

Surfing is such a funny thing. I think the memories that we make surfing are so special and impactful that it can feel like we're surfing all the time but we keep a calendar with a little icon for each day's activities and year after year there just aren't that many little surf fin icons - even though we'd say we surf "all the time." We're eager to see how much we'll miss it.

Thanks for the kind words! Ventura's been a dream, tahoe's just a different kind of dream.