Most notorious scammers/flippers on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Oct 4, 2019.

1. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    As I mentioned in the posting for my Pig, I have gotten a lot of contact with somewhat dubious people. Since I don't sell boards can someone tell me who are the major offenders/low ballers on CL? As I said, I'd like the board to go to a Jammer, this information might help me and others navigate the selling process. Thanks.

2. waveslider

waveslider Active Member

Jun 3, 2005
    USA California
    on craigslist you have to add an asshole tax. Depending on what you want for it, increase listing price by 25% and say its slightly negotiable. Flat out ask if they are going to flip it. If they are, that gets another asshole tax added on which is you tell them to meet you somewhere and you don't show up.

3. Killafornia

Killafornia Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Dude Ned, it's a crap shoot. They even have their "feelers" all over. Meaning they pay others to find boards for them. Some on here. I quit offering a jamboard price on here unless I do it to those I know and only thru a dm.

4. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I've started texting out boards and friendly prices to other jammers and friends, and asking them to pass it along to their various friends/possibly interested parties (and I know others do the same). If no interest within a few days it goes to CL with a 20-30% markup for negotiating. A flipper is always free to buy it but it's gonna be at a price I'm comfortable with via a Craigslist transaction. I find my boards typically sit for a few days and then I'll get an email asking for a discount. I say sure, and they feel like they got a deal. I always meet on my terms (time, location).

I communicate through the entire process with the buyer and expect the same. "I'm 5min away" "Still good to meet at 12pm ?" "Please bring $20s" "here are the extra photos you requested, let me know what else you need to make a decision" yada yada. I try to always control as many variables as possible, and don't get my hopes up until the $$ is in my hand. That being said, I've had some great transactions lately via CL and hardly ever get burned.

The majority of surfers are good people.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Artz likes this.
  5. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I've sold many boards on CL. There are always the scam responses mixed in with others, that will ask if it's still for sale. The scammers in this group are hoping to get your email address, so I'll respond only via the CL link. I also generally include in the post, that if the ad is present, the board is available. For those people who provide me with their phone number to call or text, I'll communicate directly, since I've never had a scammer do that.

6. Jaimo

Jaimo Active Member

Nov 19, 2006
    I had the weirdest one yet happen. I email guy to buy board . He says yeah it on. I go get cash. On way to transaction he backs out. Says cold feet. So I go immediately with cash to shaper and order similar. Craigslist guy texts week later says his feet warmed up. I said too late, I ordered one. He then offers me his board minus the deposit I gave the shaper, in exchange for me calling the shaper and transferring my order to him. I was dumbfounded. Needless to say I said no. They got some strong drugs in Oceanside.

Clomics and Andrew Johnson like this.
  7. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    Funny, I have better luck to buying or selling boards (on CL) than anything else. Once I had a board on hold for me for a month without deposit - it was 2 hours away and I had no way to pick up.

8. Artisan Fin Co-Op

Artisan Fin Co-Op Active Member

I’ve also had good luck finding a board on CL
    Most folks helpful and some had me stay for dinner
    I’m the opposite as to the sellers- who Can be belligerent / quotes:price is firm no bullshit cash only
    If it’s up it’s available- when a lot of times it’s already sold
    But like anything else be open and see what happens all boils down to the people

9. waveslider619

waveslider619 Active Member

Sep 8, 2017
    SD
    Answer to your question Omar at Stoke and broke is pretty notorious.