Most Influential Surfer

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by 70s SanO, Apr 27, 2005.

1. aloof

aloof Member

Feb 5, 2005
    USA
    I had no other reason other than that story of my little sisters next door neighbor, i don't have any friends anymore, when you get old you don't feel friendship anymore, you don't want anymore, like John Lennon brought out in some song in the past. My little brother was my only friend tell he died last year.

2. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Jeez, I'm kinda sorry it took Joel to show you that, point taken tho I quess. My irish buddy Richard qets all twisted outta shape when folks think no one surfed in Ireland til the Malloys "discovered" it. Lots of us round here rode LB's, eqqs, fishes at the same time, JT did it better tho.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

nedsurf wrote:
    +1

the Gidget franchise influenced more people to surf than any one else.

However, I'm guessing when people respond to this thread... they are responding which surfer influenced them or their circle of people the most.

4. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    "Haahahaha... Those quys are faaaaqs".

5. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    What can I say - I saw Gidget for the first time about a month ago on TV... Definitely inspired me, not.

Having said that most old timers that I have seen interviewed credit the movie with the popularization (many call it the runiation) of surfing across the US.

I know that is not the point of this thread (started in '04 by a guy that isn't here anymore)but truth be told the events that emanated from Gidget and the rest of the marketing hype that followed is what ultimately lead most here to the sport, albeit indirectly. I posted that in jest, but there is a certain truth to it.

Every day I see surfers that I admire for their skill, what inspires me most is the pure fun surfing brings. If it wasn't fun most of us would have moved on a long time ago. I guess if I had to pick one currently surfing it would be Skip Frye, just because I see him go out for hours and do nothing but have fun with a great deal of skill for his own enjoyment, not to impress anybody. Maybe not the best technically, but at 70 years old still one of the guys having the most fun. Props to all that feel that way.

By the way, what's a faq :D

6. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    70s SanO wrote:
    Well SanO I would have to bend that question a wee bit..........and that is whose the "best surfer" that has graced our sport. Gerry Lopez nailed it when he said Tommy Zahn!.......................and why you may ask? "He slept w/Marilyn Monroe" I just couldn't resist a loaded question :D.

For the most influential (for me) that I actually met and surfed with..................Kit Horn, Kimo, Rabbit Kekai, Buff, Del Canon, Bill Hamilton and Gerry Lopez. Consumate gentlemen that recognized what surfing is.......................fun!

Dp

7. Guest

Guest Guest

8. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Delaware
  9. stewy

stewy Member

Jun 27, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    AL Mann- best advice ever "just go it will work itself out" "Ha Ha"

10. aloof

aloof Member

Feb 5, 2005
    USA
    nedsurf wrote:
    My sister a year older than me was always talking about it and i had never heard of surfing but i was 11 i think and she could not experience actually going out and doing it because of a congenital defect or one caused by doctor i don't know but she experienced their excitement and i got interested from her talking about it.