Molded, Reverse Engineered, Handshaped by One Only...WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE TO YOU?

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
245453515_4432688660130449_8400029555363688612_n.jpg

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
I lived on a ranch in the mountains above Santa Barbara. So that became a reason for all these older guys to name me "hillbilly surfer"
That's funny, that's kind of what I am. My mother had a few horses she kept at the stables at the Ventura fairground. In the mid to late 60's (when you were still allowed to do it) I use to saddle a couple of them up and my old surf buddy and I would ride them down past the Ventura pier and back when there was still that dirt trail that paralleled the beach at C street. I tell you what! It was a great way to meet girls, believe me. We had a blast doing it. Surfing trail bums.

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
That's funny, that's kind of what I am. My mother had a few horses she kept at the stables at the Ventura fairground. In the mid to late 60's (when you were still allowed to do it) I use to saddle a couple of them up and my old surf buddy and I would ride them down past the Ventura pier and back when there was still that dirt trail that paralleled the beach at C street. I tell you what! It was a great way to meet girls, believe me. We had a blast doing it. Surfing trail bums.
during the 70's lived in Purisima Canyon, south of Half Moon Bay, where a handful of surfers with horses lived...had a King Ranch quarter horse used to trail ride all over the coastal mountains with the crew, on flat days buddy (he had an Appaloosa that loved beer) and I would ride our horse the 2 miles down the canyon to Tunitas Creek beach, strip off horses and us, ride them bareback into the surf line until they were swimming...fond memories of a special time and place

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
during the 70's lived in Purisima Canyon, south of Half Moon Bay, where a handful of surfers with horses lived...had a King Ranch quarter horse used to trail ride all over the coastal mountains with the crew, on flat days buddy (he had an Appaloosa that loved beer) and I would ride our horse the 2 miles down the canyon to Tunitas Creek beach, strip off horses and us, ride them bareback into the surf line until they were swimming...fond memories of a special time and place
OMG! You just reminded me of something that I got to do at age 14. My uncle had a ranch up in Watsonville where he had a small business rehabbing injured thoroughbred race horses. Because he was 6'3" and weighed close to 300 lbs., he was not a candidate to ride them. Enter yours truly who weighed maybe 115 at that age.

To make a long story short, he, myself, and my young cousin got to run these horses at the beach near Moss Landing. He wanted me to first ride them casually in the close "white water" as he said that the salt water was good therapy for their legs. However, some of these horses were a little "spunky' and they wanted to "fly". On a couple of occasions I was riding a few at full throttle with just a jockey saddle. A little exhilarating and scary at the same time. He tried to talk my mother into me being a part time jockey for some of the "low level' races he was involved in, but she said 'absolutely not". Anyway, it was long before my weight went way past the acceptable jockey weight so my career as a jockey would have been "short lived". What an experience that was!

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
OMG! You just reminded me of something that I got to do at age 14. My uncle had a ranch up in Watsonville where he had a small business rehabbing injured thoroughbred race horses. Because he was 6'3" and weighed close to 300 lbs., he was not a candidate to ride them. Enter yours truly who weighed maybe 115 at that age.

To make a long story short, he, myself, and my young cousin got to run these horses at the beach near Moss Landing. He wanted me to first ride them casually in the close "white water" as he said that the salt water was good therapy for their legs. However, some of these horses were a little "spunky' and they wanted to "fly". On a couple of occasions I was riding a few at full throttle with just a jockey saddle. A little exhilarating and scary at the same time. He tried to talk my mother into me being a part time jockey for some of the "low level' races he was involved in, but she said 'absolutely not". Anyway, it was long before my weight went way past the acceptable jockey weight so my career as a jockey would have been "short lived". What an experience that was!
THAT'S A CLASSIC STORY along with the other comments. Yup I rode bareback a lot and could stand on our horses as a pre teen. My brother & I would joust, but I usually lost becuz I'd be on Annabelle, my burro and he would tower over me on "Pandora" our Strawberry Roan.

On one occasion I was asked if I was interested in making some money riding in the Fiesta Rodeo in Santa Barbara. They said, "you'll have a saddle and be racing other kids your age on an Ostrich."

I asked them how fast do they go, and they told me about thirty.

I declined....... sounded like a bad accident just waiting to happen.