Molded, Reverse Engineered, Handshaped by One Only...WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE TO YOU?

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
ell, it's really up to the customer what they are willing to endure.

Let's say you live to the attained age of 72.... that you can still surf then.

If your board takes 18 months to build then that 2.083% of your entire life.

If you have 50 years left of surfing then it only equates to 3%.

However, let's say you're 60 now and you figure you have 10 good years left of what you'd consider surfing, then that number changes dramatically: you will be waiting 15% of your remaining surfing life to get that surfboard.

I'd be more stingy with my time if I really want that particular surfboard.
Your reasons are sound and backed up by the numbers. However, for me it just boils down that I am just to damn impatient to wait that long. You can be dead in 18 months, who knows? You gotta live for today!

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Well said........ who the hell wants to wait ANY appreciable fraction of YOUR ENTIRE LIFE waiting, waiting, waiting waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waiting waiting, waiting waiting waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting..................................................................................waiting...............................................................................................................waiting for Godot!

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Let's not forget that those guys and gals who are ordering through Dane, Bruce, Lovelace etc. are not without surfboards... In fact, they probably have plenty to ride already. It's not a matter of folk 'needing' them in most cases, they just 'want' them, a subtle difference.

The waiting times are still not a valid reason to acquiesce to mass-produced boards having a place in surfing culture.

I'm happy to wait for a custom board and surf the boards I have in the meantime. There are still a load of interesting boards on whatever used board platform you choose to look at too if you get bored whilst waiting.

No biggy... slow down, chill and wait.. like a pint of Guinness.

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
Toby and Skip have had year in the pipe situations for decades. If you want the board you gotta wait. (Que the "stolen deposit and space-flake comments.) Rich has always been upfront with me, one time he sent me to Josh hall cuz he was headed to Indo in 11 Mos lol.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Toby and Skip have had year in the pipe situations for decades. If you want the board you gotta wait. (Que the "stolen deposit and space-flake comments.) Rich has always been upfront with me, one time he sent me to Josh hall cuz he was headed to Indo in 11 Mos lol.
There ya go.
It is what it is.........
I'd rather get in there and shape with the same diligence as I always do while I listen to Shaka Ponk or some
band no one has ever heard of & thinks I'm too old to be grooving on. Kick ass music gets my adrenaline flowing.
I can't handle getting lost in the pile of orders nor trying to be more of an accountant than a shaper.
I like going to bed tired, it helps me sleep better.

Last edited:

miscreant

May 20, 2016

I think "communication vs no communication" is the difference between "long wait vs stolen deposit and space-flake comment"