Modern Yater Spoons

surfore

Mar 2, 2004
USA California
Agreed. Lots of shorter stuff like you said. At my local, there’s a Japanese guy who rides an 8’ down-ish rail, round pin, single fin that has a fuller foil, flatter tail rocker, and catches waves like a monster and really trims out. And there were lots of pretty 8’ range boards at the Beach House too over the years. And all the Ancell, abalone boards.

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
I also have the 8’6” yater hp speed shape pintail listed on the yater site. It is amazing. I have never seen another in the water. Super flat rocker down railed speed machine that also turns extremely well. I use the 8.5” yater performer fin which is also in my opinion a perfect template.

I just love yater stuff it seems. I would be curious to try one of his older midlength shapes that pop up used time to time.

Zatoichi

Jun 27, 2021
Norcal
I have always been a big fan of Mr. Yater. His boards, with the rockers he used, always have suited me very well. Back in the days of the old Surfline Hawaii shop on Piikoi Street in Honolulu, they carried his boards. For a limited time, Yater used a "Yater Hawaii" laminate on some of his boards and many went through Surfline. Most of the Yater Hawaii boards were his "Pocket Rocket" models. Personally, I think those pocket rockets were some of the best boards made by anyone during that era. They worked very well in Hawaii.