Mind on Mandala and Mandala on My Mind

nineohtoo

Apr 13, 2021
Pacifica, CA
Appreciate all the feedback gents. I'm gonna give this a try on the next wind swell or on a deeper tide. Or try it again at some less exposed breaks further south. Maybe next Santa Cruz visit.

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
@nineohtoo further thought. That’s a pretty OG ASQ. The fins are like some modified speedialer looking joints and the placement is pretty far back (could be the photos). You might need to have that back foot right on the crack. I’d think that if you did that arc tail would roll into turns really nicely.

Pls mail to Brooklyn for beach break and jetty research,,,,

nineohtoo

Apr 13, 2021
Pacifica, CA
Good eyes @kyle! I just pulled out my RFC AK4s and it's definitely a different template. That makes me feel a little bit better about my future order (which I already bought multiple fin sets for lol). I'll definitely work on getting my back foot up over the crack. I used to do that with my old CC Fish and kept shattering the swallow haha.

Last edited:

kcl

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
Paddle further forward, don't delay on your entry, move weight a bit back, drive down the line and put it to work. I've had 12 ASQs and they're all very predictable from 5'2" to 6'9" - hull entry gets gliding early, plant your feet and rip from your back foot.

You also have the original planshape (no tail cuts) so that longer rail line will release later. If you're looking for drive in a smaller ASQ, try Stretch quads.

Last edited:

ugoinright?

Sep 13, 2020
The OC Bubble
He won't make them though, I've asked.

Saw these suggestive images on Manny's Insta. IMG_20221102_064656.png IMG_20221102_064647.jpg IMG_20221102_064653.png IMG_20221102_064702.png

kcl

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
Forgive the ignorance, how come I've never seen a mandala with futures boxes?

They exist, a couple members here have some. Manny has said in the past that the Fusion and II boxes are better suited to the torsional flex of a surfboard, and Jack Jensen was exclusively making his fins for a long time. To my knowledge JJ has only made FCS-template fins; I'd assume such because building cant into a handmade fin is a pain in the ass.