Mind on Mandala and Mandala on My Mind

dingdong

Jan 14, 2013
USA California
Can you tell me more about your experience on the superchunk? I’m eyeing a 5’4 carbon microlight.
Hey Asym, even though I enjoy manny's boards, I'm not that great of a surfer, so YMMV, but I found that my superchunk was a bit more responsive then my previous ASQ, both were microlight (which I fricking love), it maybe that I got my superchunk as a dedicated twin with trailer as opposed to the ASQ quad, I feel like the superchunk is slightly more foiled as well...but its a very small difference...feels like you can bring the superchunk around more quickly though..all the same speed and glide as the ASQ but a tad more lively...hope that helps...it's probably more favorite board ( top 3 are hanel keel fish, von sol manta, superchunk)

ugoinright?

Sep 13, 2020
The OC Bubble
Hey Asym, even though I enjoy manny's boards, I'm not that great of a surfer, so YMMV, but I found that my superchunk was a bit more responsive then my previous ASQ, both were microlight (which I fricking love), it maybe that I got my superchunk as a dedicated twin with trailer as opposed to the ASQ quad, I feel like the superchunk is slightly more foiled as well...but its a very small difference...feels like you can bring the superchunk around more quickly though..all the same speed and glide as the ASQ but a tad more lively...hope that helps...it's probably more favorite board ( top 3 are hanel keel fish, von sol manta, superchunk)

@dingdong between the Manta and SC, which one do you like more for dumpy beach breaks? Thx

noahspath

Jan 14, 2021
Maine
Pretty sure there are a number of people here who, like myself, are very stoked on Mandalas. I'm starting to think about what comes next and got curious about which of Manny's boards others are stoked on. So far I've owned/surfed the following: Pintail stubbie 2+1, California stubbie 2+1, Super stubbie quad, ASQ Fish, and Quad fish. I'm especially curious about his tri plane hull iterations (arc tails, void, and hunter seeker in particular), the oracle, and his edge boards. Also curious about any unique constructions people have convinced Manny to make.

Mostly I'm interested in how the surfing has felt and where they fit in among your other boards. There's so much design info and so little footage. I feel more or less well informed about design elements, let's hear about the surfing! I can say a bit about my experiences too when I have more time.
I've got a few Mandalas in the quiver and have let a few go; most seemed to pass through the ownership of @kyle in one way or another. You're welcome to try any of them when we get waves.

My go-to for conditions waist to head high is a 5'8 MLASQ. It's a board that makes intuitive sense to me and is probably the board I have clicked with the most. If you're looking for descriptors, I'd describe it as:

•Alive
•Electric
•Snappy
•A board that wants a lot of input while providing you with an agreeable amount of glide
•A board that carries with it energy and reliability - like that wild yet fun aunt who married your centered and together uncle lol

I think of surfboards as tools. They're objects that will help me split the difference between skill/energy level and what the task at hand is. In my experience this board affords enough forgiveness and versatility to split that difference most of the time. I would place it between my "performance" boards that ask for solid waves and something 8'0+. That's to say, it replaces a midlength.

*Afterthought: I'm 5'11, 180lbs before all the cozy neoprene.

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
Vinny - I still have Manny's old carbon ASQ. Board remains fun and in rotation.

I've had 7-8 different Mandalas mostly of the shorter variety. The board I miss most and regret selling was a 6' Stubby Pintail Quad. That board worked great in NC. It excelled at late drops and had glide for days. Only issue was the dark blue almost black resin pigment. It was a wax melter that relegated the board to early mornings and or winter/spring surf.
Agreed that board was a fucking rocket ship with maneuverability. I miss it too @JMJackFish

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
Amazingly prosaic description @noahspath

BTW your Cali Quad hasn’t passed through me yet… that might be a problem.

Last edited:

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
I had a 6’5 Oracle. I hoped it was going to be a step up. It worked in ‘cane waves but didn’t like take offs that were more hollow.

I replaced it with a 6’4 RPQ from @JMJackFish. Perfect shape for a step up and accommodated full winter gear. Great for our local waves. Fit in the pocket well. Loved late drops but had too much foam for me.

I would and probably should order a custom one.

I also had a TPH. Thing was a serious barrel board. I miss it. Maybe I’ll hunt the dude down and buy it back.

JMJackFish

Jul 5, 2016
USA North Carolina
I had a 6’5 Oracle. I hoped it was going to be a step up. It worked in ‘cane waves but didn’t like take offs that were more hollow.

I replaced it with a 6’4 RPQ from @JMJackFish. Perfect shape for a step up and accommodated full winter gear. Great for our local waves. Fit in the pocket well. Loved late drops but had too much foam for me.

I would and probably should order a custom one.

I also had a TPH. Thing was a serious barrel board. I miss it. Maybe I’ll hunt the dude down and buy it back.
That RPG was such a sick outline. Manny got crazy on the foam. He forgot I'm 170lb.