Mind on Mandala and Mandala on My Mind

Skegg

Oct 7, 2021
Maine
Pretty sure there are a number of people here who, like myself, are very stoked on Mandalas. I'm starting to think about what comes next and got curious about which of Manny's boards others are stoked on. So far I've owned/surfed the following: Pintail stubbie 2+1, California stubbie 2+1, Super stubbie quad, ASQ Fish, and Quad fish. I'm especially curious about his tri plane hull iterations (arc tails, void, and hunter seeker in particular), the oracle, and his edge boards. Also curious about any unique constructions people have convinced Manny to make.

Mostly I'm interested in how the surfing has felt and where they fit in among your other boards. There's so much design info and so little footage. I feel more or less well informed about design elements, let's hear about the surfing! I can say a bit about my experiences too when I have more time.

Human

Nov 20, 2016
Oceanside
I feel like you can’t really go wrong with any of Manny’s boards. They are forgiving, intuitive, and can hold their own in various conditions. Not very helpful, but a broad overview nonetheless.

Skegg

Oct 7, 2021
Maine
I feel like you can’t really go wrong with any of Manny’s boards. They are forgiving, intuitive, and can hold their own in various conditions. Not very helpful, but a broad overview nonetheless.
Couldn't agree more, but that kind of makes the decision even harder. I'm thinking about gap filling in the quiver and what kind of experience I want from a new board.

dingdong

Jan 14, 2013
USA California
I'm a huge fan of his asq/superchunk....for those slopey fat high tide days chest high and under...you can't beat the speed and flow...something about his rockers makes all his boards easy to paddle and they seem to slip really easily into the waves when you're catching them....my buddy loves his midlength stubby

KierantheRed

Nov 21, 2020
Brooklyn
I'm a huge fan of his asq/superchunk....for those slopey fat high tide days chest high and under...you can't beat the speed and flow...something about his rockers makes all his boards easy to paddle and they seem to slip really easily into the waves when you're catching them....my buddy loves his midlength stubby
Very tempted by an asq/superchunk as a new groveler for east coast slop. @dingdong do you like yours at thigh to waist high?

Skegg

Oct 7, 2021
Maine
What’s your quiver and what are you looking for in terms of ride/performance?
I don't really have a functional gap in terms of wave size and conditions. It's more like a ride/feeling gap. My current Mandalas are a 5'10" ASQ fish and 6'0" super stubbie quad. Given that I'm on the east coast I'm most interested in going longer. I don't get to ride my short craft as often.

But honestly, I just want to know what you're stoked on, what has given you the most positive or unique feelings.

For example: How does the delta v feel compared to other twins? Does the void comp load up and spring like it seems it would? Is the hunter seeker a unique glider experience?

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
This has @kclibman written all over it

I don't really have a functional gap in terms of wave size and conditions. It's more like a ride/feeling gap. My current Mandalas are a 5'10" ASQ fish and 6'0" super stubbie quad. Given that I'm on the east coast I'm most interested in going longer. I don't get to ride my short craft as often.

But honestly, I just want to know what you're stoked on, what has given you the most positive or unique feelings.

For example: How does the delta v feel compared to other twins? Does the void comp load up and spring like it seems it would? Is the hunter seeker a unique glider experience?

dingdong

Jan 14, 2013
USA California
Very tempted by an asq/superchunk as a new groveler for east coast slop. @dingdong do you like yours at thigh to waist high?
yep that's my sweet spot, lol, depending on your skill level you can go bigger or smaller on the sizing...hit up JMjackfish, he's on the east coast and I think he's still got an ASQ in the quiver

Last edited: