mid-lengths.....

LogFather

Jul 20, 2015
USA
any one ride them? More particularly here on the east coast...looking for something that you kind of ride from the middle to front of the board and only really get back on the tail to crank huge silly cutbacks. any and all recommendations greatly appreciated...photos are a bonus

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
What length are you considering and what conditions do you see yourself riding them in? I have many vintage and New between 7’-10” and 8’10” this is my mid length range. ;)

LogFather

Jul 20, 2015
USA
What length are you considering and what conditions do you see yourself riding them in? I have many vintage and New between 7’-10” and 8’10” this is my mid length range. ;)
7'-7'10" is what I'm thinking...7'4" range would be ideal ive been riding a bunch of 7'6" lately

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
I feel like a broken record talking about it so much, but I've been pretty jazzed on the v.Bowls lately. It's zippy when you're properly in trim, catches waves easily, and it turns great. I like it enough to currently have two: My 8'4" still has a longboard feel and softer rails but still turns playfully and my 7'4" is a real blade that you can surf a little more off the back foot in hotter waves without as much need to trim front to back. When I ride either one, I sometimes miss certain aspects of the other one (glide of the longer vs shorter length and agility dropping in with the shorter), so it might be cool to split the difference and get the best of both worlds length wise. The two of them have been hogging my attention from the rest of my quiver ever since I got them. The pulled in nose is a plus for offshore days. Riding both in NJ beach break.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Read this!

http://jamboards.com/threads/the-great-mid-length-design-challenge.3016/

I ended up with this 7'10

(That's not me by the way, that's Gulfstream's sander!)

Midlengths come in a lot of different flavors. Mine is basically a longer egg designed to get into waves early like a HP longboard without the redundant nose length. It trims really fast since its flat, got a shortboard like rail and some concave but it's really loose with your foot over the fins. I was aiming for some performance and driving through roundhouse cutbacks rather than stall and trim style surfing with this one.

The V bowls and similar are a different proposition. More focussed on trim from the middle of the board with some swoopy cutbacks if you step back over the fin but definitely "older" lines (think Wayne lynch/ evolution kinda thing)

You need to decide how you want it to feel and what size waves you want to surf it in. Incidentally, a key part of the difference in the two designs is the widepoint forward or back in the template.

LogFather

Jul 20, 2015
USA
Read this!

http://jamboards.com/threads/the-great-mid-length-design-challenge.3016/

I ended up with this 7'10

(That's not me by the way, that's Gulfstream's sander!)

Midlengths come in a lot of different flavors. Mine is basically a longer egg designed to get into waves early like a HP longboard without the redundant nose length. It trims really fast since its flat, got a shortboard like rail and some concave but it's really loose with your foot over the fins. I was aiming for some performance and driving through roundhouse cutbacks rather than stall and trim style surfing with this one.

The V bowls and similar are a different proposition. More focussed on trim from the middle of the board with some swoopy cutbacks if you step back over the fin but definitely "older" lines (think Wayne lynch/ evolution kinda thing)

You need to decide how you want it to feel and what size waves you want to surf it in. Incidentally, a key part of the difference in the two designs is the widepoint forward or back in the template.
Very helpful read great stuff here. Thanks

cheyneskeezer

May 30, 2017
Long Beach CA
also have had a flat tracker and wish i never sold it. early entry super delay rail bottom turns then into quick trim when u get on the front half and good off the tail

Reactions: R1H

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
Hilbers x10 - at 7'4 get a Micro Ant. I had a 7'3 it was money though it tend to favor clean conditions.
Other that that a Magic from Mitsven, Hall, Miller or Mabile or its derivative cousins from Takayama(Howard Mini) and Tyler (Hair Pin) are great everyday boards.
If you like things spicy and have access to or plan on using it in decent surf and like to get your carve on CB speed egg would be the call.