Mid length for beginner progression + wave count

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
How about this -- go find one of those Modern Retro boards. They're cheap (for a longboard) and come in 9'1". (Why the 1"?) It will give you the opportunity to try a cheaper longboard that isn't crazy heavy or crazy long, and you will see if that's what you're looking for. I'll bet it would work great for you. I tried one out once (I think it was 10'0") and have to grudgingly admit that it felt surprisingly good and not thaaaat much different from a lot of the longboards I've owned. Ignore the liters -- it is irrelevant for longboards and is just listed so as not to alienate the shortboarder-turned-longboarder market.

Before I get flamed for suggesting what is essentially a modern day pop-out, I would argue that it will act as a gateway drug for him, ultimately leading him to the finer strains of surfcraft that the rest of us on here are addicted to.
This is the best suggestion yet. Let’s be realistic surfing the amount you currently do in the conditions you mentioned you will become an average surfer at best so you may as well have fun.

kclibman

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
If you're looking to dump the T.Rev, you could translate that into fast cash and put it toward even a V Machine from our own @Bruce Fowler. When coming back from injuries or just needing a board that isn't a log for smaller days, I've always gravitated toward a 7'6" V. Tons of paddle power, friendly fin setups (thruster or 2+1), and Bruce can ship to you (I think, can't remember the Amtrak situation these days).

When getting friends or loved ones out on anything but a Wavestorm, they freak out on how user friendly the V Machine is.

Nalu

Jan 19, 2021
Gualala, CA
How about this -- go find one of those Modern Retro boards. They're cheap (for a longboard) and come in 9'1". (Why the 1"?) It will give you the opportunity to try a cheaper longboard that isn't crazy heavy or crazy long, and you will see if that's what you're looking for. I'll bet it would work great for you. I tried one out once (I think it was 10'0") and have to grudgingly admit that it felt surprisingly good and not thaaaat much different from a lot of the longboards I've owned. Ignore the liters -- it is irrelevant for longboards and is just listed so as not to alienate the shortboarder-turned-longboarder market.

Before I get flamed for suggesting what is essentially a modern day pop-out, I would argue that it will act as a gateway drug for him, ultimately leading him to the finer strains of surfcraft that the rest of us on here are addicted to.
A-MEN to that! Even better if you can pick up a used one to be as sustainable as possible while expanding your quiver :)

Tho I do have to say… I am a longboarder at heart and will opt for a log/pig any day, but I got a custom 7'0" CI Mid a few months ago as part of my default travel quiver and I gotta say that it's quickly become one of my favorites. Even in small conditions, the board is a lot of fun and helps practice more 'performance' oriented maneuvers than I would usually do on my regular daily drivers. At the end of the day: whatever works and will get you stoked!

eggrider

Feb 25, 2020
Bay Area
Vaquero was my first introduction to hulls and I found it extremely neutral, intuitive, and forgiving. I don't know what magic is put there; oftentimes when I thought I would've bogged a rail or fallen off, the belly somehow stopped that from happening. That said, my prior experience is all on single-fins.

So just want to throw it out there that if you're used to riding singles, then Vaq is very user-friendly (while providing an eye-opening different feel for me).

By no means I'm saying go get one. Echoing with others that a ~9' modern longboard, or a mid 8' V8/VM from Fowler would serve you really well. Below 8' probably won't do.

Kdw9736

Apr 18, 2021
North Carolina
I'm definitely going the used board route. I appreciate all the suggestions, think I'll be looking in the 7.5-9 range, nothing fancy, thanks all.

ant

Jul 8, 2005
I might be alone here, but I really don’t like riding my midlength in small waves (e.g. knee to waist as the OP points out). I’ll always grab my groveler, short and wide (5’6”, 22’), or a longboard. I find midlengths to be a lot more fun when it’s at least shoulder+. Nothing beats a longboard when it comes to wave count, my midlength wave count is no better than my groveler.

If you are looking to progress, it’s not just about going smaller. There are so many “advanced” maneuvers to master on a longboard.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Agreed

if you listen to egg masterchef Devon Howard he would say shoulder high plus for an egg and log below that or a fish if you hav the skill to
Shortboard. Their longer rail line does really give benefits when you have a decent face to draw lines on.