Mid length for beginner progression + wave count

sightpoint

Jan 28, 2014
2' and onshore
I'd absolutely consider a mid-8' Andreini McVee with medium-foiled rails. The wide tail makes it a great wave catcher, super stable, easy to turn, etc. Downside is the wait. But I see a McVee as a board you could jump on immediately and surf for as long as you're surfing, and always be happy. Such a fun, nuanced board.

Human

Nov 20, 2016
Oceanside
I wouldn’t discount a vaquero between 7’2 and 7’6. The trim and cutbacks you will learn should be directly transferable to longboarding. Those things are basically yachts and you won’t find an easier mid length to surf. There’s a reason why they’re so popular around here.

Kdw9736

Apr 18, 2021
North Carolina
All very good feedback so far, thanks for all the suggestions.Some more details to help the discussion: I'm 5'9 and a whopping 150-155lbs. Typical surf for me in NC is knee to waist high. Not living at the beach anymore I rarely get a clean shoulder+ day if I'm being realistic with myself. So it'd be good to get a more solid wave catching machine all- arounder that'll help me still progress my fundamentals.

The more of you that chime in I realize it may even be worth ditching the T-Rev for a longer daily rider in the high 7s to 8' range, especially given that I'm not really wanting to shell out for a new board atm. I absolutely am a bit salty some days seeing all these guys and gals cruising past me on bigger boards and having objectively a better day. I complain to myself that I'm getting snaked all the time but if it were me on the bigger board I probably wouldn't see it that way, just that I had better board choice. I'm going to check out all the specific models and other shape ideas to help me when perusing craigslist and other places. I just want more waves. Cheers!

Kdw9736

Apr 18, 2021
North Carolina
Let’s hear about this “old 9’-6” log” please.
Hey so my friend basically donated it to me for nothing. I don't know the actual model but it's a Driftwood 9-6 by some other huge dims. I can measure later if interested. The things like 60 pounds, and I don't even have a proper fin for it, it's got a FCS dolphin 8.0 in it right now. Been also thinking about getting a more suitable fin that would make me like riding it more.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
if you are surfing knee to waist high then you should probably be on a longboard or something close to one. dont go for anything too heavy or loggy - yes they are ace in that size surf if you have foot work but you don't.

Mcvee sounds interesting in this respect although i cant personally say how quirky it is to surf. I can report that a mate who's probably a similar standard to you borrowed my vaquero 7'10 and struggled.

so id still say something 7'10 to mid 8's and eggy or just an all around user friendly longboard that's not too heavy. Although they arent fashionable, a 2+1 semi hi performance longboard around 9'2 will cover a lot of different conditions and wave size especially at your weight

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Just a quick extra point. The CI mid itself has amazing marketing going for it and no doubt it works as a shape but all the rider feedback ive heard ( at least in the below 7'6 sizes) are that it needs a bit of size or shape in the wave to "go". Its more shortboardy than you think and its not designed as a small wave groveller but for waves shoulder and above

^ Very good to know. I must like the marketing. :p (Not really kidding.)

Spiral Bee

Mar 4, 2021
Eastern Massachusetts
I have come to the conclusion that the Vaquero is not a surfboard but a ridable Rorschach blot.

Exhibit A by @jory
Personally at your stage I would stay away from really hully mid lengths like the vaquero and v bowls. They are cool but quite idiosyncratic to surf and will require a different approach to the t Rev/ beaver thing you’re used to."
Exhibit B by @Human
I wouldn’t discount a vaquero between 7’2 and 7’6. The trim and cutbacks you will learn should be directly transferable to longboarding. Those things are basically yachts and you won’t find an easier mid length to surf. There’s a reason why they’re so popular around here.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
How about this -- go find one of those Modern Retro boards. They're cheap (for a longboard) and come in 9'1". (Why the 1"?) It will give you the opportunity to try a cheaper longboard that isn't crazy heavy or crazy long, and you will see if that's what you're looking for. I'll bet it would work great for you. I tried one out once (I think it was 10'0") and have to grudgingly admit that it felt surprisingly good and not thaaaat much different from a lot of the longboards I've owned. Ignore the liters -- it is irrelevant for longboards and is just listed so as not to alienate the shortboarder-turned-longboarder market.

Before I get flamed for suggesting what is essentially a modern day pop-out, I would argue that it will act as a gateway drug for him, ultimately leading him to the finer strains of surfcraft that the rest of us on here are addicted to.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I agree with Chilly Willy and feel a modern high performance 2+1 longboard would serve you very well.
Yep. Maybe even this in 9’1 and will have a slightly higher “top end” in wave range. A good board to be the only one in the car when you turn up at the beach whatever the conditions.

Plus it’s not the expensive and you would resell without losing too much.