Mega discount surfboards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by DB, Sep 29, 2006.

1. joeblackuz

joeblackuz Active Member

Apr 15, 2005
    njrider,

Im just a smart ass. I only own custom hand fabricated american boards. While I do have boardshorts I chose to buy vans cuz I thought they were the lesser of evils, besides, I got them cheap.

Oh and I like golf. Last time I played I shot a 93, course it was a 9 hole....

Joe

2. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    unforgiven,

The points you made are much more valid than the article. I mostly agree with you on them.

Thing is, as I am sure you know, it’s not only the pop-outs that take away from a shaper. The assembly lined shaped boards (not pop-outs) coming from the Far East or wherever overseas are in my opinion more problematic than pop-outs. At least the pop-outs represent an alternative[/i] in construction, materials and design. They represent diversity of one’s quiver. With the low-end/cheap overseas shaped/glassed boards showing in surf shops at the beginning of every summer, you are getting the exact same construction as a US hand-shaped board. It is cheaper solely because of labor costs. It is shaped by some laborer who probably has never surfed. That doesn’t sit as well with me as owning a pop-out. As I mentioned previously, I own a Boardworks Walden Magic. Personally, if I wanted a hand shaped Walden Magic, I would not[/i] be interested in the assembly lined shaped version from the Far East available through Global Surf Industries regardless of price difference. I would only want one that was hand-shaped shaped in Walden’s US operation.

Regarding what happens 5-10 years from now, I think we will follow the same cycle that we historically have. The surfing fad wanes, there will be a contraction in the lower end of the market, companies like Global Surf Industries will either go out of business, downsize or diversify to stay alive. And then you won’t see boards in Walmart until the cycle repeats itself all over again in future years. I think at the end of those 5-10 years you will still have to wait in line if you wan’t to replace that mouth-watering Tyler of yours because quality shapers will still be around. Of course, if that example of supreme craftsmanship get’s too heavy for you to carry, and you want something lighter, Surftech will still be there tempting you with a Munoz Ultraglide.

:)

3. Socal

Socal New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    It's not just surfboards, there's plenty of golf clubs out there that are made overseas. King Cobra is a brand of golf clubs, they're good clubs on the lower end of the scale, but still good clubs. You can walk into some shops and see clubs that look exactly like the King Cobra's (and I mean exact) only the name has been changed to "King Snake". This company puts all their money into research and development of a product and some company overseas steps in and just rips off their design. From clothing to surfboards to golf clubs to auto's, this is the world that we now live in.

njrider wrote:

4. g-coast

g-coast New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Socal wrote:
    Don't forget computerz Socarl. 22years ago our company did alotta contract work at Compaq Computer's main campus here in Houston. Anyway they had so many freaking buildings packed with assembly lines of people making this widget and that widget to next be installed with another widget and so on and so forth that yes indeed it finally ended up a primo Compaq computer(if they ever were). Ten years ago we were contracted thru Hewlett Packard(who bought Compaq) and were out at the main campus again. Gone were the masses of assembly lines. Gone were the people. These Buildings were now huge warehouses for computer parts that arrived from China, Taiwan and wherever. Once HP got this stuff it was then shipped back out to other contract companies who who then assembled the final computers. One contractor was Telxon. We did alot of work for Telxon baby. This is certainly the world that we live in now:?.

5. andersonfan

andersonfan Member

Feb 12, 2005
    USA California
    There are Pro's and Con's to this phenomena. I dealt with it in a past career in another industry and here is my take:

PRO:

1. Lower price point enables more people to try the sport and see if they like it. If they do, they will want to emulate those that they respect and work upstream to custom made American boards.

2. As some of the better import lines (Anacapa is a good example) bring in a wider range of boards, surfers with ability but little money can begin to build quivers.

3. Surf shops can finally make a decent profit on boards instead of relying on soft goods to keep the lights on.

(Admittedly light list of Pro's because I am not motivated tonight)

CON:

1. More people trying it equals more crowds (read: buoys) in the water during the summer months.

2. Some people who would have bought an American custom shaped board will buy an import instead.

3. Some shops may elect to carry only import lines due to their profitability.

All in all, it will be better for American shapers. As more people are introduced to the sport and stick with it, they will migrate up to the American boards.

There are over a million guitars built every year overseas yet Fender, Gibson, PRS, Rickenbacker, etc. are having the best years ever right now (with their American product, not just imports.)

AF

6. guayule

guayule New Member

May 14, 2006
    Even if half their models sold are japanese made or Mexican made. I wish the higher level American custom shapers had Japanese and Mexican made versions at half the price. Next Step?

7. andersonfan

andersonfan Member

Feb 12, 2005
    USA California
    Not to hijack the thread-

There are only a handful of mass guitar manufacturers in Korea/Japan that do really nice guitars at a strong price point. THere are some that get close but they ususally fall short in the finish work (frets, finish, balance).

I have been through factories and saw 23 different brands coming through the line over a 3 day period.

PRS has done well with their revamped SE line, the Masterbilt Epiphones are the best acoustic you can buy at the price point (followed closely by the Breedlove Atlas line) and you would be surprised at how little difference there is from a materials standpoint in the Mexi vs. American Tele's and Strats.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.........

AF

8. jerseymike

jerseymike Member

Feb 19, 2004
    One word, Globalization, welcome to the new world

9. andersonfan

andersonfan Member

Feb 12, 2005
    USA California
    Very true. We all get our own opinions, not our own facts. The world has changed and it is not going back the way it was. I am quite sure the discussions about those wacky new shortboards started just like this back in the late 60's.

AF

10. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I think all you guys have stated truths regarding this topic. AF hit it. Cheaper more available boards means more people surfing...or at least more people trying to surf. That is not necessarily a good thing. Many of us remember surfing from a long time ago and have good memories as such. Now not to sound like some old fool reminiscing, but fewer people surfed, less crowds, more waves, you surfed better, you enjoyed surfing more. When surfboards become a commodity...like bicycles for example...everyone has at least 2 in their garage, shed whatever...you can always find 1 or 2 at a garage sale, Target and Walmart sell them along the wall in Sporting Goods...then it could start to suck. I think if that were going to happen, it would have happened by now. So, I don't think one big box carrying a line of boards for a season or 2 will have much effect on anything. Mass produced boards are here to stay. NJrider has put an excellent perspective on the impact on the surf merchant. It sounds like they are a pain in the ass, but not the end of the surfing world as we know it.