Mega discount surfboards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by DB, Sep 29, 2006.

1. DB

DB New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    I just got an email from a friend who is a buyer at a large, discount retailer. Apparently, they are meeting next week with a “surfboard vendor” to talk about manufacturing & selling boards at their stores. Based on where the vendor is located, I can’t imagine they will actually manufacture the boards onsite. I’ve asked for a complete update after the meeting. I’m really curious as to the name of the vendor & where the boards are being made. I’m not going to share it now (sorry) but the brand name of the board is totally funny, or should I say, ironic, considering where they are going to be sold.

I’ve asked my friend to find out if they are poly or epoxy boards, etc. I’ll report back when I hear something else. Just thought I’d share that…

DB

2. WAsurfer

WAsurfer New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA Washington
    please don't say walmart. please.

3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    WAsurfer wrote:
    No Bud, I hear it's COSTCO:D

DP

4. log donkey

log donkey Member

Sep 8, 2004
    USA California
    HAHA! "but honey, i have to buy a dozen to get the good price!!"

Dawnpatrol wrote:

5. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Costco already has boards (polyester) in So Cal, Fla, and HI. Shortboards around $200. Think a "Seven" or a "Blue" and you have it.

6. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Benny's right. I saw Realm shortboards in the San Diego Costco back in 04...I think Blue,Realm and Seven or all from the same outfit. They blow the whistle and the 4-12 shift changes the labels. Longboards are something else though....twice the logistics due to size. But still, you can fit many boards in a container. Merchandising boards for a big box retailer is a pain in the ass though. They take up mucho space, they are prone to damage...Costco has a liberal return policy so you'll have yahoos get one ding and return the thing(nice spit!).

7. joeblackuz

joeblackuz Active Member

Apr 15, 2005
    marina del rey costco had 9' boards 3 summers ago, but only fun and short boards since.

Joe

8. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    joeblackuz wrote:
    Did they give-away a free "Blue Crush" dvd w/each board sold :D ??????

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I can assure you that Global Surf Industries will never sell boards to Costco, Wal Mart or any big box retailers.

Mark Kelly - President

Global Surf Industries.

http://www.surfindustries.com