Mat Surfing

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Guest, May 8, 2012.

1. aslbuck

aslbuck Member

Jan 29, 2005
    nedsurf wrote:
    Yes I ride a mat often. Two videos here (First by JP Taylor, second by Chris Keet):

http://youtu.be/b4ZdGKHNzDg

http://youtu.be/IuOo2Q9qDZw

I only read Don's post and the initial one, the rest was confusing to me. Hope this is on topic, if not, oh well.

p.s. a mat and a body board are nothing alike. If you want to ride a mat wrong, treat it like a bodyboard and blow it up to full air. If you want to ride it right, drop out a shit ton of air and ride it nothing like a bodyboard, or so I have found.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

how bout a prone alaia? those look damn fast as well, and maybe a little better at highline trim in the pocket? i would love to try either or both sometime soon. funny, all the ways to ride waves. but when it comes to dumpy little tubes ill take the handplane over anything. yahoo

3. Jaimo

Jaimo Active Member

Nov 19, 2006
    seawell wrote:
    2 reasons for me. 1. You can't fill a boogie board with exhaled pacalolo smoke. 2. A friend pointed out that there is something to be said about the attractiveness of the possible consequence of being out there on something that could "pop.". That's a word that'll never come into play on anyother surf access device.

4. respectthepeck

respectthepeck Member

Apr 10, 2004
    USA
    Jaimo wrote:
    Attached files
    [​IMG]

5. neighbor

neighbor Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Doesn't George Greenough ride mats? Like, for the past 50 years?

6. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
    I race this thing prone at about 100mph (obviously not on ocean waves) and it's one hell of a ride!
    http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k608/sonOsea/Jeff%20Akers%20Motorsports%20Race%20Boat%20Photos/or4.jpg
    I like the feeling of riding my longboard prone. It reminds me of the race boat a little, and I could see how a matt would be a total kick in the ass in the right conditions.
    I like Benny's idea of the “superman session” too, I'll have to try that one soon.:cool:

7. scottyp

scottyp Member

Apr 6, 2004
    I have one of Dale's. I like it. I would dare to say that if you got a single open-faced wave on one you would come away with a smile. Isn't that what it is about?

8. SuperKool

SuperKool New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    USA California
    neighbor wrote:
    Yep, and I hate to be the one to break the bad news to ya but he died a long time ago.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

SuperKool wrote:
    I missed that one man...please enlighten us.

10. SuperKool

SuperKool New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    USA California
    lol...I guess you're right, who was it that died at windansea? Guess I need to get informed lol.