Massachusetts surf 2.5’ @ 8 seconds with offshore winds

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Zzz, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Zzz

Zzz Active Member

Aug 15, 2017
    CA
    I’m in the northeast (Near Framingham MA) for at least a month right now and I’m hoping to surf once or twice before it gets too cold to surf in a 4:3 with boots. There haven’t been many days with decent conditions as far as I can tell while I’ve been here over the past two weeks. I do see this in the upcoming forecast and I’m wondering if anyone on here wants to weigh in if this seems like potentially rideable and fun waist high surf or if it’s likely too small or weak. It’s at least an hour drive to the surf and I would need to get a board to ride so any honest input would be appreciated. DM me if you have any input. I’m not looking to add to the crowd at the best spot but would love to have a few local waves in my memory especially if I’m here for longer than expected.

5A286EA8-3BC8-4EC2-BDB6-378960B2ED56.jpeg

2. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    In my neck of the woods that spells a fun session

3. Tlri

Tlri Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    Go surf. Will send you a pm.

4. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Weds is the day,NH is your best bet. I’m about 40 min north of you so depending on what you like to ride I may have a board for you.

5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    From what I understand there are so many angles between ME and RI that winds from NE to SW provide offshores. Really need to do your homework to score. And be willing to drive. I have no clue. Enjoy.

6. shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Also would like to add that water temps to the north are currently in the 50’s and in the 60’s to the south. Hit me up if you would like some help.

7. Zzz

Zzz Active Member

Aug 15, 2017
    CA
    Thanks for all the responses. I’ll reach back out to those who PM’d later today. I went swimming at Plum Island on Sunday so I got a feel for the water temp. I was targeting Saturday but tomorrow clearly looks better and I might be able to get it together in time.

I had planned to ship myself a small egg here via greyhound and am now kicking myself a bit for not getting it done (but the surf was good in San Diego before I left so you know how that goes). I knew I have been spoiled with surfboard availability in SD but didn’t realize quite how much.

Tlri likes this.
  8. shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Shortest board I have is an 8’ egg that you are more than welcome to borrow if that helps. If you want something longer I can do that as well.

9. strez

strez Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    Get in touch with Shady for good advice. For shorter boards, call Cinnamon Rainbows and let them know what you need. They have tons of boards. I'm sure they'd let you rent a board or they likely have some demos they'd loan. MDM is up in Hampton as well. He might have some input.

10. Zzz

Zzz Active Member

Aug 15, 2017
    CA
    Surfed a beach break near the MA/NH boarder. Beautiful day, lined up little waves, and offshore winds. Warm in a 4:3 and didn’t even need boots. Basically no crowd. Super fun and reminded me of fall in NJ as a kid. Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to go surf.

deemce, FalseDawn, glider_boy and 6 others like this.