Mandala Superchunk

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I’ve owned a 5’4 for a number of years. Haven’t ridden it much recently (it’s got much busier here and I’ve got lazier so I’ve been riding midlength eggs) but it was the only non-log I rode for a few years.

TL:DR is never heard anyone have a bad opinion of one and I think mine is great.

The long story is they’re great little boards. They are a perfect everyday board for slopey ca style everyday waves. They take a lot of the fast paddling, early wave entry and blistering lateral speed of a mini simmons but add in the turning feel of a speedialler style quad fish. It’s a perfect mix, you get the mush busting and pump speed of a mini sim but once you go on rail it will carve through turns without the excesssive skate or the nursing required by a mini- sim.

They will grovel in waist high and hold in overhead as long as it’s not inside out barrels

I’ve long said that a perfect 2 board quiver would be one of these and a single fin log. Nowadays I’d maybe add in my magic 6’10 twin egg as well.

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
I’ve owned a 5’4 for a number of years. Haven’t ridden it much recently (it’s got much busier here and I’ve got lazier so I’ve been riding midlength eggs) but it was the only non-log I rode for a few years.

TL:DR is never heard anyone have a bad opinion of one and I think mine is great.

The long story is they’re great little boards. They are a perfect everyday board for slopey ca style everyday waves. They take a lot of the fast paddling, early wave entry and blistering lateral speed of a mini simmons but add in the turning feel of a speedialler style quad fish. It’s a perfect mix, you get the mush busting and pump speed of a mini sim but once you go on rail it will carve through turns without the excesssive skate or the nursing required by a mini- sim.

They will grovel in waist high and hold in overhead as long as it’s not inside out barrels

I’ve long said that a perfect 2 board quiver would be one of these and a single fin log. Nowadays I’d maybe add in my magic 6’10 twin egg as well.
It's not laziness. Its called Evolution Jory

Speak

Jul 17, 2012
USA California
Have had a 5'1 and 5'2. Still have the 5'2. I prefer it with the more pulled in Oracle nose (you can ask Manny to do the D Peto nose on them). The advantage the Chunk has over the ASQ is the 5th fin box. So many options. Even if you run it as a quad, putting a little nub in the center gives you just enough hold in the steeper stuff. I've run it from waist high to a little overhead. On construction; carbon is great for clean days, super light and maneuverable. However it does not perform well, imo, in windy conditions or high tide soft conditions where weight and momentum are needed. I actually prefer my Superchunk in poly, though I love my ASQ and Oracle in carbon.

Jellz

Jul 2, 2021
Bay area
This is spot on. I had 5’11 Speed Dialer and a 5’10 simmons. Now I have a 5’11 SC (I’m 200#) and don’t miss either.

@jory i see you - 3 boards for me these days are 5’11 SC, 9’9 log, and 6’11 twinzer egg. Simple, fun surfing