Mandala Oracle review?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Speak, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Speak

Speak Member

Jul 17, 2012
    USA California
    Hey everyone, for those of you that have or have ridden the Oracle, how'd you like it? I'm thinking about picking up a smaller Oracle with Manny's Delta V in a twin fin setup. I'm wondering if there would be too much overlap with my ASQ, Superchunk and Super Stubbie haha. My Super Stubbie is 5'4 2+1, the Oracle would be 5'6 Twin. My ASQ and SC are both 5'0.

Thanks all!

glider_boy likes this.
  2. kclibman

kclibman Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Had a 5'6" - it was the most shredable of Manny's models next to a foiled out SC that I've found. Tail foil and rails lend to more dynamic surfing than the glide you'd get out of a ASQ or Stubbie. It will probably feel like has the most overlap with your SS vs anything else you listed there, just because both boards have outlines with more continuous curve. Mine was also a 5-fin setup so it was fun switching between quad and thruster. 5'6" was maybe a little under my preferred volume too but I'm also 175 lbs.

kpd73 and JMJackFish like this.
  3. Speak

Speak Member

Jul 17, 2012
    USA California
    Thanks for the review! Your comments are making me reconsider my sizing, I'm 140lbs, how much volume does the Oracle carry? Manny recommended 5'6-5'8.

4. kclibman

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    It's pretty foiled down at the rails - just found my old CL listing and I was mistaken, it was actually 5'8" x 19.75" x 2 3/8". If it had been 2.5" I think it may have been a different story but I also ride pretty thick/beefy boards because my local is a soft, open-faced point so I like the foam for getting in early. I also bought mine secondhand so I can't speak to the volume unfortunately.

Speak likes this.
  5. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    I had a stock 5'8, it felt about 31 or 32 litres, it did not surf like my ASQ or Superchunk at all, to my noob level of knowledge, it felt and surfed like an egg...like all of manny's boards it was fast, OX45 bought it off me, maybe he can chime in on how it surfed for him, to me it was more shortboard then fat wide grovelers like the other two models mentioned, had some fun days on it at San O and Cliffs, I rode it mostly as a thruster, and FYI manny usually recommends dims on the bigger side, I'm 5'6 and 160 lbs, I could've gone down to a 5'7 or 5'6

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Speak likes this.
  6. Speak

Speak Member

Jul 17, 2012
    USA California
    Thanks for the replies guys! I know Manny usually recommends big because I've sized down several boards from him haha. I'm curious about the Oracle though because, as you said, I thought it was more like a performance egg. If it's eggy I would want something with volume, but if it's more high performance I would probably size down to even 5'2.

kclibman likes this.
  7. dingdong

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    I wouldn't call it high performance

8. kclibman

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Agreed - it like likes to be whipped around and sunk a little more than a normal Mandala. Not like anyone is really looking to go 12 o'clock on most Mandalas but the Oracle sure can bury a rail harder than an ASQ. I wouldn't try to throw a reverse on it however.

Speak likes this.
  9. Speak

Speak Member

Jul 17, 2012
    USA California
    I wonder at what length/volume it stops being an egg and just becomes a sort of performance twin? I had a 5'6 super stubbie and sized down to 5'4. I kind of realized that I was chasing more performance rather than appreciating the flow, kind of miss the 5'6 and end up almost always grabbing my ASQ over the 5'4 stubbie. Don't want to make the same mistake with the Oracle! Especially bc they're not cheap mistakes haha!

10. dingdong

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    I reached out to manny earlier this year about a mid size delta V, he told me Oracle for cruise and stubby for tubes and bigger days, not sure if that translates to shorter lengths.... maybe tell manny that you're looking for high performance and see what he says