Magic fin set up

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by jerseymike, May 3, 2020.

1. jerseymike

jerseymike Member

Feb 19, 2004
    I am looking for different fin set ups for my mitsven magic 7”2. I am currently using 3.25 true Ames side bites with a 6.5 skip fry center fin Any ideas would be great. Thanks everyone

2. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    Other then riding it as a single fin, that seems like a great setup. Just playing with the center fin position might give you a different feel you might be looking for.

3. waveslider619

waveslider619 Active Member

Sep 8, 2017
    SD
    I love a raked flex fin. Same profile as Liddle fin just elongated. So buttery smooth the whip off a bottom turn into the pocket is unreal. I also like to ride fins up in the box. with and with out side bites...

Attached Files:

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  4. Mizrachi

Mizrachi Active Member

May 16, 2013
    Same fin set up and sizes on my 10' magic. Why not ditch the side bites unless you need the hold and run a slighter longer 4a?

5. bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04 Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    I like 4 inch sides and 5 inch center

But my favorite setup is S wing fins with 7 inch center. Works unreal

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  6. Camel Rock

Camel Rock Member

Mar 23, 2020
    San Diego
    On my 7´8˝ LARMO Honey Badger I currently have it set up with an 8˝ True Ames L Flex in the center box and a set of FCS Bonzers. This seems to work really well. Good drive, but still loose enough and holds in the turns.

I also love a thruster setup with the FCS adaptor box. I heard a lot of mixed reviews on this product, but it is working very well for me with my 9´3˝ LARMO Winter Magic. I did have to mod a bit with some sanding and drilling, but no big deal. I have this set up with Skip's Medium set. See pics below for reference.

IMG_4172.jpg IMG_4104.jpg

WillieP likes this.
  7. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California

I thought of trying bonzer side bites in my mandala avocet! It has quite a bit of spiral v in it, and the idea of the bonzer side bites( I have seen some midlengths do this) intrigues me, but the cant is something I have never messed with before. Hydrodynamics people, I would love to hear your thoughts.

8. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    bump. I wanna hear so folks more knowledgeable than I chime in on the above post.

9. WillieP

WillieP Member

Oct 22, 2016
    South Carolina

10. WillieP

WillieP Member

Oct 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Where did you get the Skip Fry medium set?