Magic Boards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Aug 17, 2019.

1. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Sure.

Still though...

Archer, not arrow.

Just sayin.

2. SeabassMan

SeabassMan New Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Bodega Bay
    I am not new. I was on here before but my old computer went kaputz and I had to start from scratch, with a new handle cuz I could not remember or figure out my old login. Ha! I do stand by my statements about what boards were "magic" and which were not. I do not know anything about Seadrift, unless you are talking about a stretch of beach on the North American seizmic plate side of the San Andreas Fault at place known for wanting to not be known, even though everyone in the entire dot com universe and beyond knows about the place. Ha!!!

3. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    A few that were incredible were not so in the beginning, the days of this is the board you have, now ride it.
    Boards that didn’t turn well, pearled easily and didn’t noseride, after months of swimming, I paddle out one day and it was like they were different boards.
    These were from decades ago, flat rocker, with maybe a 100 or more boards under my belt, I wish I’d kept them, but no one kept previous boards back then.
    It would be interesting to see how they would compare today

DanSan, Surfnfish and Basenji703 like this.
  4. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    I think a master shaper would disagree.
    Just sayin'...

5. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Way, way, back when, , , , the best magic board I rode was a Hobie Team 9'2" GP Pintail that Catri let me use for a year. It did everything I wanted it to do.

Artz, DanSan and Surfnfish like this.
  6. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    and we certainly would not want to mention a certain hike in place well known for tubes and sharks....

spring visits to Bolinas in the late 60's...Richard Green holding down the lineup...after session warm-ups with a big bowl of meatballs and spaghetti at the counter in the deli...good times

hankster and DanSan like this.
  7. jonbiz

jonbiz Active Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Wilmington NC
    My magic board is mandala 6’6 fish from 15 years ago. Still have it. Clark blank tapered red wood stringer and lock box turbo speed dialer fins. It’s what I always go back to when I need to iron the kinks out.

JMJackFish, DanSan and Surfnfish like this.
  8. Lektriz

Lektriz Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Finland
    In juicy waves in Norway or the vary rare days we get with something to push against this 9'5 would do it all once dialed in.

Struggled Immensely during the first 4-5 sessions, but that super pinched rail rolled/concave bottom made her very nimble for her size and she would make any section.

131175_10151101626770933_2116711407_o.jpg

Shaped by Josh Hall glassed by that angry looking but super talented Nico in Ericera portugal.

DSC01964.jpg

DJR, Artz and DanSan like this.
  9. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    I get a kick out of listening to Portuguese men talk, it always sounds like they are about to throw down.
    Nico is such a good guy, hosts a string of visiting shapers, last year Don Brink, Gary McNealy, Jeff Lausch, Pavel, Lovelace.
    I got to work next to Adam Davenport this year, the gentle giant.
    My favorite at the factory, Senhor Paul, nearly my age and does all the clear sanded finish boards.
    Glasses with so little resin, never a flaw and pays so much attention to the smallest of details.
    Last year I did hear Nico blow off steam for about 3 hours to an employee that hit a rail of a custom I’d done on the door frame, I finally said, enough, he heard you.
    Tall order to stand up to Portuguese national Jujitsu champion, he loves me, calls me his dad

DJR, Artz and Lektriz like this.
  10. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    081AEE44-8C4A-458D-9846-3C8AFC79719E.jpeg Magic, knee to wherever

Thunder Chicken, espi, DanSan and 6 others like this.