Lovelace FM Thoughts

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Yeah the bowls is definitely a rip from Wayne lynches evolution board. That definitely rubbed some folks the wrong way. Totally remember all that.... haha
I don't think it was the initial laying claim to ownership of the widepoint-aft hully egg design that really riled folk, it was more the very vocal bagging of anyone else who then had a similar model in their range, accompanied by accusations of cribbing him.

hullyahomie

May 29, 2021
central coast
I don't think it was the initial laying claim to ownership of the widepoint-aft hully egg design that really riled folk, it was more the very vocal bagging of anyone else who then had a similar model in their range, accompanied by accusations of cribbing him.
That similar model thing just recently happened, the V Bowls has been out for almost 10years and he did make a few statements about unique design with the V Bowls back when. I know that rubbed some people really wrong.

sam

Nov 16, 2020
SF

@ 3:08 you can tell he gets nervous when the interviewer points out that he’s not actually from sb and he has to explain that he didn’t start surfing until college

he makes cool boards though

Yosh

Jan 31, 2019
El Segundo
That similar model thing just recently happened, the V Bowls has been out for almost 10years and he did make a few statements about unique design with the V Bowls back when. I know that rubbed some people really wrong.
???

Entitlement creates delusion. Internet grows hype deepening ones delusion, but for them it's reality and they can make money along the way.
I rather sit down with a shaper who's not delusional that's all...

Last edited:

hullyahomie

May 29, 2021
central coast

@ 3:08 you can tell he gets nervous when the interviewer points out that he’s not actually from sb and he has to explain that he didn’t start surfing until college

he makes cool boards though
??? shall we loop back to Wayne?

Entitlement creates delusion. Internet grows hype deepening ones delusion, but for them it's reality and they can make money along the way.
I rather sit down with a shaper who's not delusional that's all...
I totally know what you are talking about and have had many many many discussions with Wayne about this. I’m not saying the bowls was anything original, FAR from it. Ryan definitely had a better grasp on the internet than a lot of the older shapers, which means nothing in terms of shaping creditably, but he did take advantage of that. He had/has a huge following, being a good shaper or not and that’s a fact. I totally agree that the internet grows delusion and that’s a slippery slope for a shaper with minimal shaping experience at those times and not growing up in surf culture. Which I also feel pissed alot of people off. He started shaping and within a couple years was putting out as many of not more boards than alot of older guys. I’m not here to defend any of this bullshit, just happened to be around for alot of it and am close to a lot of the people on both sides. It’s all nonsense to me honestly. I get boards from Wayne, my homies and I have a bunch of liddles….

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
No Joe Pro, but I would say so too.

I would also not want my surfing to be contrasted against Trevor Gordon haha

Surfing 'well' is hard to pin down.. one might excel in one little niche or could handle themselves in 1ft to 15ft with no particular flourishes.

I'm neither hah

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
No Joe Pro, but I would say so too.

I would also not want my surfing to be contrasted against Trevor Gordon haha

Surfing 'well' is hard to pin down.. one might excel in one little niche or could handle themselves in 1ft to 15ft with no particular flourishes.

I'm neither
Trevor Gordon is one of the most stylish surfers on the planet IMHO.

I’m no joe pro either but to be fair I think most of us could gently climb and drop in a similarly competent fashion on a perfect right hand point wave.

It’s also fair to say that not all good shapers are excellent surfers. You don’t have to be world class to make good boards.

I think Ryan was early on the whole self promotion via the internet thing and profited from that. He did it at a time when it wasn’t as much the norm in society as it is today and lots of the elders found distasteful. Plenty of people do like his boards.

I think more recently he perhaps should have thought before he starting typing........

(Also Plancktom is a great surfer but very modest!)