Lovelace FM Thoughts

luuuna

Nov 30, 2020
los angeles
Wondering if anyone has thoughts on the FM from Lovelace. Discussion on the Lovelace forum was centered more on sizing but was curious to know if anyone hear has ridden one and any impressions on how the board rides in general.

Reactions: DJR

Bravoaloha

Nov 9, 2019
Jersey
Also curious about this. I have a few Lovelaces, and ordered a Lizzy just under a year ago.. Was thinking of maybe going with an FM just because it was a new model and seemed interesting, but after speaking with Ryan I decided to go with the tried and true option I originally wanted. Ryan basically said if I wanted to do more top-to-bottom surfing to go with the FM, if I wanted to do more linear surfing go with the Lizzy.

Lizzy is great but it is very linear-focused. In bigger surf I can really "jam" it off the bottom, but I wouldn't mind a little more some more maneuverability. (I also need to play with fins a bit more, running a 7.5" Frye on a 7'6" Lizzy, no side bites)

Sbbcc

Dec 6, 2017
SB
Wondering if anyone has thoughts on the FM from Lovelace. Discussion on the Lovelace forum was centered more on sizing but was curious to know if anyone hear has ridden one and any impressions on how the board rides in general.
There is a Lovelace forum?

icecreamheadache

Jan 14, 2006
Anyone got any real insight into why people hate on that kid so much? He's always been really nice to everyone I know who's ever encountered him.... Even my friends talk mad shit about that kid and when pressed on the "whys" don't seem to have much to offer aside from "because he's there" like Ryan Lovelace is a mountain or particularly large line of blow or dodgy looking single parent in short shorts at the bar at closing time or something...

Budthedog

Dec 22, 2020
California
Anyone got any real insight into why people hate on that kid so much? He's always been really nice to everyone I know who's ever encountered him.... Even my friends talk mad shit about that kid and when pressed on the "whys" don't seem to have much to offer aside from "because he's there" like Ryan Lovelace is a mountain or particularly large line of blow or dodgy looking single parent in short shorts at the bar at closing time or something...
I’m curious about this too. For me, the reasons are shallow and petty but basically hearing him talk, he comes off as a mix of pretentious, sometimes condescending, and insincere. (This obviously’s got nothing to do with his shaping skills and it doesn’t keep me from wanting to try a couple of his boards, I’m just being honest.) From other people I get the impression he’s resented for getting credit for being some kind of creative genius when he’s still young and doing things that less marketing adept shapers have been doing for a long time.

NateB

Jul 28, 2020
Laguna beach
I’m curious about this too. For me, the reasons are shallow and petty but basically hearing him talk, he comes off as a mix of pretentious, sometimes condescending, and insincere. (This obviously’s got nothing to do with his shaping skills and it doesn’t keep me from wanting to try a couple of his boards, I’m just being honest.) From other people I get the impression he’s resented for getting credit for being some kind of creative genius when he’s still young and doing things that less marketing adept shapers have been doing for a long time.
“I get the impression he’s resented for getting credit for being some kind of creative genius when he’s still young and doing things that less marketing adept shapers have been doing for a long time.”

Ding ding ding!!

I’m pretty open minded, guy has been super nice to me. Chatted about many things outside of surfboard design. Always nice to chat briefly with. Not to mention he is bringing up and coming shapers to the spotlight like arenal and Lopez. Thats seems quality to me.

Yosh

Jan 31, 2019
El Segundo
I'm sure his boards ride great but the minute he claimed vbowl was a design that he grew and developed for 10 yrs and shamed some unknown china brand that ripped "his design" off, that was it. Another reason is I've tried his first gen vbowl and it was crap...literal crap...couldn't understand the hype, so I already had filters of doubts. I was also riding HG exclusively at the time so ya...
I will personally pick up MicroAnt in a milli-sec over vbowl or DoubleEnda in a sec.
I cannot favor anyone who's "styling a style" and claiming as original, hope that make sense. Same may apply to surfing when someone tells you, "that's my move/style", I swear someone did it already in the 50s 60s 70s~ just not known, no internet.