Lose your stoke

Basenji703

Apr 2, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
the cold has become a turnoff, midlife crisis ?

the stoke inside is dimming- cant be age related (many members older than me)

have others gone through this?
@Freddibetts You know me, I'm probably as old as your Dad. Everything goes in cycles, sometimes your stoke is up and sometimes it's down. Before I had my hips replaced I was down and recently my stoke was down because I thought I would need rotator cuff surgery. Luckily I don't and I have rehabbed pretty well. After a few good sessions, I am back to my old stoke. That being said, I will get up tomorrow for a first light surf and it will be cold as shit!!! Not so stoked about that, but I'm going to do it. Your stoke will come back. If you can adn COVID allows, go to Florida and get some warm waves.

Heavywetsuit

Feb 13, 2016
BUT WHAT IS STOKE?!? Is it that bubbly feeling we get in the pits of our stomachs? Is it the slight burst of joy from within when you can actually think clearly in which casing al other times we are unable to think clearly? Is it the deep blue ocean which churns out those crisp cold tasty nuggets of which old man winter seems to provide every year. My advice to you and or anyone else who is no longer feeling stoked. MAKE A CHANGE. everyday no matter how big or small is ever feeling “stuck” break out of that pattern of which repeating things no longer serve you. Wether it’s the commute to work the route you take what you eat for lunch. The music you listen to. Try to create things that make you feel good sounds, art pencils paper paint markers crayons… taking photos of things you find speaking to you’re eye with you’re phone… little things everyday go a long way. Maybe try & go out of you’re way to hold a door open for an old lady… jam on freddibetts

Couch

Mar 18, 2018
Santa Barbara
Been there; two things worked for me:

1. take a break until you WANT to surf again and do some other activities in the meanwhile
2. leave the board at home (take the pressure off of wave count, competitiveness and crowds) and grab a bodyboard or hand plane---so much fun to just go out and play in the surf like we all did when we were kids.

Couch

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
Been there; two things worked for me:

1. take a break until you WANT to surf again and do some other activities in the meanwhile
2. leave the board at home (take the pressure off of wave count, competitiveness and crowds) and grab a bodyboard or hand plane---so much fun to just go out and play in the surf like we all did when we were kids.

Couch
Surf mat !

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
the cold has become a turnoff, midlife crisis ?

the stoke inside is dimming- cant be age related (many members older than me)

have others gone through this?
relax, enjoy other things, let it come back to you...the day will come when you can't get back to the beach and into your wetsuit fast enough...once a surfer, always a surfer...

TurtleTime

Dec 25, 2018
San Clemente
i've been in a tough place with it for a few years now. I no longer really surf the A spot. I just can't deal with the people and the scene. If I didn't get into long boarding, I probably would have quit. Adult beginners, mega grom hordes, everyone is a local, e bikes, loss of most water etiquette, the list is long. But besides the those factors, just getting to mid age and like every body part starts to be an issue like a 1980's buick.

some good points here, thanks all. i should get a boogie board again and maybe one of them super duper rubber matts...

dingdong

Jan 14, 2013
USA California
some good advice above...just relax and give it time...if it isn't surfing that will bring you stoke then maybe something else will come along...important thing is to appreciate and enjoy this life...there's no guarantee that we get another chance...I've always been a mediocre surfer at best...so I've always set my expectations low and usually just set my sight on just one good ride per session...and whenever I do get that one ride...its awesome

northseacruiser

Jan 8, 2011
Netherlands
I live in the netherlands where the waves are not that good. (windy, messy onshore short period waves). When I’ve been on a trip to a place with good waves it’s always hard to get the itch again the first few sessions at home. What brings the stoke back is the aftersession with friends, chatting about the waves, the good trips we had, the stupid things we did and having a drink.