Looks like Gerry Lopez sold out

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
@Bruce Fowler you know and I know that a standard PU/PU board that is well made in the first place well have a good life

The rub here is G-Lo being portrayed on one hand as an 'ambassador' for environmental causes through Patagonia, whilst selling unrecyclable product that is not made to last on the other

He is able to capitalise on a number of surf-related products, good for him. But this one - the dispensable surfboard of dubious provenance - is a bit beyond the pale for me.

Last edited:

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
No Wavestorms in the UK? Well it seems as though the gods have truly blessed you... Don’t worry though I’m sure somebody smells opportunity
Thankfully, surfing is a hassle for many people here - too many variables to make it easy and/or at the very least, enjoyable, for the novice surfer.

Some wanker with a petrol-powered board did get collared for driving across the country (during lockdown) to go 'surfing' and promote his 'sport' a couple weeks back.

They walk among us here too unfortunately.

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
Thankfully, surfing is a hassle for many people here - too many variables to make it easy and/or at the very least, enjoyable, for the novice surfer.

Some wanker with a petrol-powered board did get collared for driving across the country (during lockdown) to go 'surfing' and promote his 'sport' a couple weeks back.

They walk among us here too unfortunately.
Jerkoff is American for "wanker"...haha

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
Yeah...good opportunity to open one of those shitty, gaudy stores that sells beach chairs, towels, shitty spongeboards, cheap sunglasses...you know, just like VA Beach.
We’ve got Wings and knockoffs everywhere in the SE. garish abominations that apparently suck people in with shitty boogie boards cheap sunglasses and free hermit crabs

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
@Bruce Fowler you know and I know that a standard PU/PU board that is well made in the first place well have a good life

The rub here is G-Lo being portrayed as an 'ambassador' for environmental causes through Patagonia, whilst selling unrecyclable product that is not made to last on the other

He is able to capitalise on a number of surf-related products, good for him. But this one - the dispensable surfboard of dubious provenance - is a bit beyond the pale for me.
Like Maurice Cole always says about the most ecologically friendly board - It’s the one built to last the longest with performance in mind for the surfer to enjoy for decades if possible- best glass job, foam, stringer etc As always the problems come down to the consumer and wants, needs, education, etc

And also Patagonia researches it’s producers domestic and foreign as thoroughly as possible to make their products as ethical as possible
that being said I am getting degrees removed from original topic and like @Bruce Fowler said we are doing the best we can

But

and this being said I don’t what Gerrys financial situation is but c’mon

but
I enjoyed his book and I guess he can sleep at night...

And in the end I know my $$$ situation and you came to me today-
yeah Id sign on the line...
Granted I’d try to make up for it for the rest of my life but then I could afford to couldn’t I

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
it's all about the Benjamins, and what we have to do to earn them... 'if you haven't walked in another indians moccasins'...some b.s. gets just a little much, however, such as Slater flying into G-Land for a day session on his chartered chopper, now pushing a sustainability clothing line

the largest carbon footprint in the indutsry by far is Firewire and it's massive Thailand plant...ships and trucks ship materials in, trucks and ships ship it around the globe...staggering carbon footprint...anwer to that will be when 3D printing reaches the next level along with development of the neccessary materials...shapers will sell their designs online as protected IP, purchasers will select their model and tweakable dims, send to the nearest domestic printing facility, new board delivered to your front door likely by Amazon. Finished with the board, order the next one, return the old one in for a refund on the 'core' deposit, to be recycled. Only way to feed a surfing population of 35 mil and still growing, 99.9% of who only give a shit about what their fave pro is riding, and address true environmental concerns.

With that said, there will always be a demand for the custom handshape.. the heroin for those that just ain't gonna give up that custom board jones..

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
it's all about the Benjamins, and what we have to do to earn them... 'if you haven't walked in another indians moccasins'...some b.s. gets just a little much, however, such as Slater flying into G-Land for a day session on his chartered chopper, now pushing a sustainability clothing line

the largest carbon footprint in the indutsry by far is Firewire and it's massive Thailand plant...ships and trucks ship materials in, trucks and ships ship it around the globe...staggering carbon footprint...anwer to that will be when 3D printing reaches the next level along with development of the neccessary materials...shapers will sell their designs online as protected IP, purchasers will select their model and tweakable dims, send to the nearest domestic printing facility, new board delivered to your front door likely by Amazon. Finished with the board, order the next one, return the old one in for a refund on the 'core' deposit, to be recycled. Only way to feed a surfing population of 35 mil and still growing, 99.9% of who only give a shit about what their fave pro is riding, and address true environmental concerns.

With that said, there will always be a demand for the custom handshape.. the heroin for those that just ain't gonna give up that custom board jones..
Makes me think of that shaper who I can’t remember his name of course that has a shaping and glassing machine all in one. He hits the button and goes home for the night. Morning comes and board is finished... hard to comprehend