Looking for WAVE Set remakes

njrider

Jan 18, 2006
USA New Jersey
Erwin quit making fins about 10 years ago. He made the Hobie Dogbone and Waveset G&S fins. He used some kind of plastic that was stiff enough to surf with. More recently, there was a seller on eBay, something like "xhoserx", who made various repros, including waveset G&S, and Greenough Stage III. I've got one of his Stage III fins and it is super flexy, almost like rubber. Probably only good for a wall hanger. I haven't seem him on eBay for a while.
I reached out to him as well...let you know what i hear. Thanks

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
Back in my heavy collecting days, there was a guy who tried to market those WAVE set fins for sail boards. He had all the different molds for the vaious models. Yater, Weber Hatchet, G & S Hy pros, MP's, Greenough Stage III, etc. I bought a bunch from that guy probably 40 or more, but the plastic was softer than the original waves and would dent more easily. However, they were better than nothing and I think he was selling them for around 9 dollars each. Rainbow Fin Co use to carry some, but that was years ago and that venture was quick to disappear. There are only so many surviving boards with WAVE set fins still remaining and not enough to support a company making them.

njrider

Jan 18, 2006
USA New Jersey
How many are you looking for? Any specific templates? I have a few I’d consider letting go of.
I appreciate it. I was hoping to get some to sell in our shop. I get vintage boards that come in without fins and people don’t want to go to eBay. I do have a customer that needs a fin for a G&S SS model. Sort of a 4a template.

JMAC

Feb 10, 2019
Northern Santa Barbara County
Here is what I have (4) G&S template and (2) O’Neil templates. Would like to get $100 a piece for them except the multi color one and black on in front of it I would like to get $150 they’ve never been used.

Attachments

• D194F9E5-41F8-489E-92FF-135DD131327A.jpeg
    D194F9E5-41F8-489E-92FF-135DD131327A.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 37

njrider

Jan 18, 2006
USA New Jersey
Here is what I have (4) G&S template and (2) O’Neil templates. Would like to get $100 a piece for them except the multi color one and black on in front of it I would like to get $150 they’ve never been used.
Thanks for sending. Do you know if any of these were bought from xhoserx on ebay? I'm trying to see how his fins are. If they are good, I may buy a bunch. Are yours remakes or original?

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
If they are still that much in demand, it wouldn't be hard to make an injection mold from a good original. I would have thought by now, most of the surviving WAVE set boards that needed new fins would have gotten one. Apparently not!

McLovin

Oct 20, 2021
New England
Just bought one from Juan for my first midlength, a vintage Phillips I found at an antique store. Interesting, didn't realize these other options you mentioned even existed. Not an expert in fins...I can deduce from the thread that some are molded...so Juan uses the same materials (resin & cloth?) but does not use a mold? Suppose I could just google "how custom fins are made" lol :)

If I had more skills, I would have tried what "Tomas" on Swaylocks mentions here, in response #11: