Looking for Info...Single fin Stinger fin placement

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by strez, Jan 29, 2019.

1. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    I just bought a chunky funky used 6 8 single fin stinger and am wondering if there are any gurus out there who know fin placement on this type of board. I've never had one of these before.

The pic with the fin in the board is from the previous owner - seems a bit far back I would guess. I know bonzers have a specific fin placement to start with... Is it the same for a stinger? I usually start with the fin in the middle of the box unless otherwise advised.

Attached Files:

DJR and SReilly like this.
  2. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    That fin seems a bit over sided for that board. With Stings you can put the fin in just about any location. I had one with Very long box. On small days the fin was way up the box. Lots of fun. For better waves center of fin would be close to the central of the box. Just play with it see what puts a smile on your face.

DJR likes this.
  3. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    Thanks! Fin is 8.25

4. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Try a 7” fin maybe Perrish or Bonzer fin. For a longer fin try a flex fin.

DJR likes this.
  5. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    always heard the magic number was 8 1/2 from the tail -

6. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    watch Larry Bertleman videos till eyes bleed ;) then you will know the way

I think he said some where that he doesn t like to tighten the fin down or some crazy shit like that.

any how all the way back for more drive push forward if it feels too stiff. I always just start in the middle of the box. the shaper puts the box where they do for a reason.

Im pretty sure Capt fins has an Erikson fin though I think you may be fine with what came with it.

DJR and JMJackFish like this.
  7. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    Thanks, Cuda. The board is an Ericson and so is the fin.

8. ParSurf

ParSurf Active Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    The first one is a sting I made , glassed the fin 7.25 from the end of the swallows. Surfs waist to well overhead just fine there. The othe is a seventies Neahkahnie mountain surfboard from Oregon. Haven’t finished restoring it yet but the fin is close to seven away as well. Forward loose back stiff... both fins are seven inches and pretty similar shape. Like a parish or old brewer. They are also substantially thicker than modern fins 23CA497D-CBA5-4567-851B-412D3793EB14.jpeg 9385C139-96D2-4FED-AA7C-E4452FDE7A32.jpeg 3298B324-F850-4B2A-AF0D-6486CDE79A16.jpeg B27AC95C-BED6-49FA-AF2E-72EA837CB713.jpeg

9. m8r

m8r Active Member

Apr 8, 2014
    NC
    I rode a 6.2 Ben Aipa Stinger for years in all waves & conditions as my primary shortboard.
    Once you learn how to ride them, they are fun as hell!

My advice:
    Use a 7" fin (like a Bonzer or Parrish-PM me)
    Place the leading edge of the fin 2/3 of the way forward in the fin box (ie forward of center of box)
    Ride it

M

Artz likes this.