Longevity in surfing: what’s your routine?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by houseofsuffering, Mar 12, 2019.

1. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Live near a wave you like to surf that breaks regularly.
    Pretty simple.

zippy and JMJackFish like this.
  2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    Now 69, surfing non-stop since 12 (other then injury/repair recoveries).
    there's no secret to it - stay fit with regular exercise and movement, eat right and stay lean, minimize the vices. Above all, stay stoked!...leave the old guys in the parking lot talking story behind while you paddle out.

And know this - when you get to this age, it becomes much less about inevitably diminishing skills and the quality of the surf, and much more about re-connecting with the joy you felt the first time you paddled out.

And that starts when that first incoming wave breaks over your head and wipes you clean...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Basenji703, Artz, VitaminC and 11 others like this.
  3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Eat less. Exercise more.
    Push ups and a Concept 2 rower will help a lot.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Artz and houseofsuffering like this.
  4. 306Bing

306Bing Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    Don't play open league contact competitive sports too long. Throttling it back at 50 instead of 30 is taking a toll at 55. No cartilage in either knee, hip surgery inevitable, multiple back injections. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change a thing now, just a warning of what's to come. PT and Yoga do help, but I wonder where I will be at Surfnfish's age of 69.

Planktom likes this.
  5. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    Well at 66 I do enjoy a 30mg Codeine Phosphate pill before surfing, aside from that; staying slim, moderate exercise, bike riding and surfing when it is ridable. New boards help with the stoke factor. Get up early.

Basenji703 and Lackosense like this.
  6. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Everything that's been said here, but also, yoga.

Patrick Riley likes this.
  7. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    read jam forum everyday for "tips"

DKNJ and JMJackFish like this.
  8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    you'll likely be hurting 24/7 as I do...much of it from a love of snowboarding backcountry steep and deep = multiple orthopedic repairs..the good news is next generation NSAD's are coming to market soon that will do more to relieve chronic pain...and replacement parts are getting way better...don't even think about my replaced hip when doing the do...

Last time I chatted with Lopez, who is 6 months older then me, we discussed injuries...a few years back Gerry fell off a ladder while cleaning gutters at his Bend house, shattering a lower leg and ankle, and had barely recovered from that when he shattered his other leg and ankle snowboarding... now has something liked two dozen bolts and multiple plates in his lower legs...so Gerry did what any reasonable surfer his age would do after incurring such injuries...bought a place in Hood River and began kite boarding, where he now spends many a day blasting around the Columbia River jumping waves with the local crew...and ices up in the evening

the moral being fuk it, use your body up, deal with the pain, just need enough left to let you finish circling the bases and slide into home, with a shitload of great memories to take with you on the paddle over...

waveslider and Planktom like this.
  9. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    Good luck Dingpatch!

dingpatch and Tlri like this.
  10. Tlri

Tlri Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    Best way to stay in shape for surfing is to surf.
    Best way to surf when you have kids is to get the kids surfing!
    My wave count went back to what it was when I was single and living walking distance to the beach when my kids got their own boards.
    Now, as soon as I get home from work in the summer they’re asking to head to the beach even after school in the spring and fall if there are waves we’re looking to go.

Artz, aussie-surfer, davey and 4 others like this.