Longboard width

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
Do you think longboard width is determined by performance, blank availability, ability to carry or what? I know it’s a combination of things, but it’s rare to find a longboard wider the 24” max.
Just food for thought.

walkingtheplank

Aug 2, 2004
wherever i am
Do you think longboard width is determined by performance, blank availability, ability to carry or what? I know it’s a combination of things, but it’s rare to find a longboard wider the 24” max.
Just food for thought.
i used to own an 8'6" Nick Palandrani shape which was 24.25" wide - it literally caught more waves than any other board i ever surfed. my rule of thumb is, if you can't effectively carry the stick under one arm back to the car after a long session, it's too bloody wide.

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
I see guys with boards down at SanO that are eps with carry handles in them, so they are both light and easy to carry. They catch everything, and some of them are surfing at a pretty high level.

JBorbone

Oct 18, 2017
St Augustine, FL
I personally prefer narrower longboards. I generally feel as though paddleability is never an issue with boards over 9ft, and for someone my size (5'5" and 140lbs soaking wet) anything over 22.5 wide is nearly impossible to put on-rail or keep stable in the pocket unless it's heavily rolled. I'd rather have a board with a flatter belly at 22.5 than a seriously rolled belly at 23.5. For me, personally, it's just easier to control speed and positioning on the wave.

totally personal preference though, obviously.

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
I agree with the under arm carry width idea. Makes no sense what so ever especially when I see women or anyone dragging a board through the sand to the water. If you need a board to be 24-25 inches wide for ‘stability’ you are better off investing in yoga classes or some physical training for core strength and improved balance.

Last edited:

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
It’s not all about stability, I’m considering paddle power, and glide. A 11’ glider isn’t always the most practical board, but there’s times it provides the planing area needed to get through flat sections and connect portions of the wave you couldn’t without it. I’m curious if the same thing could be accomplished with a wider board that provides the necessary planing area.
I’m personally not looking for a wider board just playing devil’s advocate and trying to steer some of the conversation here on the board back to surfing and surfboards rather the the flu.

garagefull

Feb 22, 2004
Santa Cruz
I like my boards wide, flat and thin. If I want a 9'8 and and I need a certain amount of volume, the foam has to go somewhere. For me it is better to put it in width, rather than thickness. Thin boards with pinched rails seem to sit lower in the water, and be more sensitive to weight shifts, so easier to turn. Having said that, I had a Carl Olsen Superwide model. I loved the way it surfed, but at 25" wide, couldn't carry it under my arm. Got tired of carrying it on my head and sold it. FWIW, blank availability in wider sizes is not an issue. High density foam or even wood stringers can get the width to what is needed.

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
Dane Perlee used and still does 25" boards..
There is one for sale in goleta
10.6 x25 x3..

My frankenspud was 8.6 x 25 x 3 1/8..
It is sonewhere in NC..now..
New one is 23+~ish