Longboard shipping service

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by bigduke21, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Croweater

Croweater Active Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Ticowannabe wrote:
    Oh yes sorry. Thanks Tico.

2. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    Finward wrote:
    OK. So you go to Home Depot and buy a couple giant rolls of bubble wrap, some packing tape and pipe insulators. That takes about 30 minutes assuming the lines are short. I've managed to buy enough materials for 2 10-foot-plus boards for about $25. Once home, it takes about about 45 minutes per board—more if the fin is glass-on. Then I suppose you scavenge a box from somewhere. Which unless you know of a consistent supply is either going to take some time or require a good 30 minutes of re-sizing the box/boxes to the board. So I have to quibble with your time estimates. I find that there's a time-sink of at least 90 minutes per board if you're doing one or two at a time.

But do tell where you are finding this sub-$100 cross-continental shipping? If you say Amtrak, add two hours to the time estimate unless you live right next door to a major terminal—and hope that the person you're shipping to doesn't live more than 100 miles from the nearest station and is willing to a: pay you at least $100 for shipping and packaging and drive up to four hours round trip to pick up their board. (In NYC I won't even bother to get into tolls to Newark, paying to park, gas, etc., since last time I shipped with Amtrak they wouldn't bring large packages into NYC Penn.)

Your position all makes sense as long as you think the three hours you just spent buying supplies, wrapping the board and traveling to the shipper isn't worth anything. And that the two hours spent picking up on the other side isn't worth much, either. Or am I completely misunderstanding your process?

3. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Croweater wrote:
    glad it worked out, awesome looking board, we'll need a ride report

4. fishy82

fishy82 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Local shop in FL to a San Diego biz packed and shipped for $185 incl tax. 10' box. I have been told raw cost from one of the large high vol west coast shapers is approx $90 plus box and packing to a central FL shop. Cardboard and packing supplies to 10 or more boards is approx $20-30 board.

5. fishy82

fishy82 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    I can buy cardboard, wrap, and tape for $35 retail. It used to take awhile but now I can get a board ready to slide in a bag in 15-20 minutes. Amtrak has inflicted some damage on occasion though... Shipping flat out sucks anyway you look at it.

6. Croweater

Croweater Active Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Ticowannabe wrote:
    Yeah I'm waiting to get shipping quote from Dolly today.

7. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Dolly is trying to work something up to ship my 3 from JH now. She said she was having issues with somebody out there but will work it out.
    Josh's team does a great job of boxing them up.

Shipping suxxxx.

8. RIer

RIer Member

Jul 17, 2013
    NoseRideTheWhip wrote:
    Yeah, I'm sure you're right

9. Finward

Finward Active Member

Jan 16, 2012
    USA
    RIer wrote:
    yes and no. If someone actually cared about figuring out the freight there are options just look at SUP retailers, and they will provide answers. The problem is that, like smukes said, they don't care here's the price take it or leave it. If it were important to them, they would put more effort finding the solution. Packing and materials are cheap as shit but if it is not important then why bother buying the materials for 10 or 20 boards and save better than 50%+ when you can just pass on that cost to the consumer. Hell if someone worked for a company like say boardworks I am sure they would have access to stacks of new boxes, foam padding thin eps sheets FREE that only ever saw the inside of a container.