Longboard shipping service

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by bigduke21, Nov 7, 2016.

1. fishy82

fishy82 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Your right. Everything surfing is better in San Diego. Even the surfboard packers....
    SMUKES wrote:

2. Finward

Finward Active Member

Jan 16, 2012
    USA
    on no surely not because you know packing is rocket science.

The fact that Jim has to pack his own boards is part of the problem their Westie. I know your graduate degree in package handling and carry on logistics is nothing to scoff but I can without any reservation say yes I can pack boards more quickly and just as adequately.

3. fishy82

fishy82 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
  4. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    English. You were an english major... im about as sure as can be that the dude that has been making and shipping surfboards since the 60s knows a bit fucking more than you. You take the win for self confidence and bein a prick tho.

5. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Now look what I started. I simply asked the questions because there are associated cost to running a business for profit. Based on Jims explanation I don't find an hour to be unreasonable. Then there is the time it takes to go to the station drop the board off and return to the place of business, and on top of that the cost to ship it by Amtrak. Conservatively your real number for a business to ship a board via Amtrak would be $200 - $250 associated cost and profit figured in. There is also a cost involved for the customer to go pick it up but that always seems to be forgotten. And as for my packer I would much rather have my shaper pack my board then some kid making minimum wage that could give two shits about my board and only cares what time they are getting the hell out of there. Just my $.02 on this whole shipping thing.

6. Finward

Finward Active Member

Jan 16, 2012
    USA
    I see how you bundle yourself in with Jim are you telling me that packing is like shaping you have to learn from a master or something? I got a bet with someone here and I need you to settle it, can you touch your own ears? I owe someone 10$ if you can because I bet that your ego was so big it would make it impossible he claims you can but only one at a time

7. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Not at all, but i have boxed and shipped a lot of his boards and i know how he (and i) would expect they be packed. Its not rocket science but it is about 200 bucks retail. Pay or dont pay it, nobody cares either way.

8. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    Another option that hasn't been discussed for packing is Bashams and Used Surf in San Clemente. Extremely reasonable. I want to say the last time I got a quote, was around $50-$60 for a longboard. I have had Used Surf pack a few boards I shipped while I was living there and they did a fantastic job. As far as shipping, unless you live near Amtrak or are lucky enough to have a freight account with an Airline, you are going to pay.

9. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Exactly re the MAP account.

10. Finward

Finward Active Member

Jan 16, 2012
    USA
    That's exactly the response I would expect
    Pay it or don't nobody cares