Longboard shipping service

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by bigduke21, Nov 7, 2016.

1. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    (And it takes FOUR people to pull this off?!)

2. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    applekat wrote:
    Yes... they work 6 shifts per day you see.

3. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Christenson and bing ship big ass boards. Costs are caculated by dimensions and that labor thing as i stated is the bugaboo. Little boards, shipped in bulk to shops vs big ass boards shipped onezy twozy to individuals etc... duke has left the building

4. Finward

Finward Active Member

Jan 16, 2012
    USA
    For whatever reason shipping from the west coast has been way off. ( $120 to pack a 8 foot board is too much) I understand the time and material packing story. If I order a board from Hawaii packing costs are at least 50% less than what I've paid from socal for similar size boards. It's one of the reasons I won't order boards from there anymore. I guess if they are buying the boxes new one at a time and ordering the packing from grainger supply I can see the material cost

5. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Finward wrote:
    It used to bother me alot when I was in jax bch....And I voiced every chance...
    Because I knew how much and easy it it isTo box and take to amtrak...but I've givenUp that Don quixote quest...I guess now that I'm here...But if there is ever a board up here..you like..need...I'll be glad to assit.

6. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    I'm a little curious as to how long it takes to pack a board and drop it off at the Amtrak station and return home. I understand it's different for everybody as I live 1.25 hrs from the closest station. But in general terms 1,2 maybe 3 hrs just asking. In my business time is money.

7. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    How much do I charge customers to pack boards ? A single pack takes about an hour, cushion wrap the top and bottom, rails, nose and tail, cover entire board with cardboard, cut down and collapse the 10'8' box to 7" from 14", glue and staple the sides, resize the end caps, glue and staple those and I have a damn good record of boards getting there unscathed, even with all that, the freight monkeys still can destroy it all in an instant

8. Finward

Finward Active Member

Jan 16, 2012
    USA
    Packing is so fucking easy if you have the material. A long board time should be a few minutes if someone says it takes a half hour then they are hourly in a union shop or missing a limb. The cost is what the market will bear if I can flat rate a 12' board anywhere on the mainland for 100$ how is it that shipping costs for a 7'6" from a west coast guy are over 200$ and that isn't including packing. People have a misplaced romanticism towards certain west coast shapers that helps them justify the shipping and packing. Fuck that if I am buying a board from that coast I don't haggle or ask for a break, so I would expect the builder at least make an attempt at finding the cheapest route for shipping. Who knows that little thing you do might actually increase business or overall customer satisfaction I know I would rather see the builder raise his price 25+$ than paying 100+$ more than I should for packing and shipping.

9. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    the 2 boards I got from Jim Phillips were really wrapped well, no kidding they were protected. After getting the first board and unwrapping it, I figured the shaper did it and really wanted to protect his hand crafted product from harm. Both came in perfect and were shipped with Dolly via Delta, airport pick-up.

10. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Finward wrote:
    So, you can pack a board better than me or jim? Hahaha.