Longboard shipping service

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by bigduke21, Nov 7, 2016.

1. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    The person that created this "shipping service" is definitely reading comments here as this page already pulled out from the site, to add credibility I guess.
    Not to mention using board pictures from CL and other classifiers helps a lot too. I'm 100% sure I've seen coupe SUP pictures posted on the site. One is Bark sitting outside, another Naish lying on bag...
    or this : http://www.swaylocks.com/node/73288
    looks like self-promotion to me

ElBrooklyn wrote:

2. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Maybe they are preparing for weed legalization and will have nothing to ship in the near future?

3. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    WhiteRussian wrote:
    To be fair, I'm pretty sure that was a template page that they hadn't gotten around to properly filling out. But I was looking to see if somebody named Duke (a la OP) was one of the founders.

4. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    So, I do logistics for a living and have done, as most of you know the shipping for Moonlight and Surfy orders specifically, along with Boardworks and Smurftech sadly... anywho, If for domestic shipments, using known and insured carriers I were to charge to achieve a %20 margin, most if not all of you good people would balk. Largely its labor and materials ( if not purchased in bulk which needs capital and facilities) and secondarily its the carriers...one of which is my current employer. These cats above are up to something else and its a credit to we dumb surfers that we can sniff out the clowns nearly immediately. Keep using your fellow buyers and traders and help anyone when you can is my best advise. Failing that, call Dolly or use Bing et al for there services and don't be a dick if your board gets a ding, these things happen and I assure you are inevitable.

5. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Ps. "Big Duke 21" I don't begrudge anyone for trying to make a living and using social media platforms as a way of getting your product to market BUT... be careful.

6. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    SMUKES wrote:
    Great perspective Smukes. Thanks.

What amount of volume would you have to have to be able to negotiate any kind of bulk discount with a legitimate shipper?

7. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    Thankfully, my friend is SDSurfer guy, and once you have a friend like that, the rest is irrelevant.

8. RIer

RIer Member

Jul 17, 2013
    SMUKES wrote:
    interesting info.

so CI and Rusty do cheap shipping but they are larger operations. stretch does it too, but his boards cost more, so maybe he builds some of the shipping costs into the price. I don't think his operation is in the league of CI, yet his shipping costs are similar.

I'd be interested in your take why a Bing or Christenson which seem to do a good amount of volume and also have relatively higher prices haven't also figured out a way to do discounted shipping.

there's probably an obvious business distinction but it's not obvious to me as an outsider.

9. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    bigduke?? Are you out there??

10. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    SeniorGrom wrote:
    Wondering the same thing.

Re-reading this thread (don't chastise here)...I STILL have absolutely no idea what exactly this service is actually offering....other than being a $35 good buddy/supporter.