Longboard shipping service

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by bigduke21, Nov 7, 2016.

1. bigduke21

bigduke21 New Member

Nov 7, 2016
    USA
    New to the forum but enjoy collecting boards of all shapes and sizes like most everybody else... Anyway shipping has always been a hassle but a SUP friend of mine turned me on to these guys who handle all the shipping logistics for you. Cost was $35 (on top of shipping cost) but they did everything except package the board (even handled freight insurance).
    Definitely worth a look -- check them out at http://www.boardshipping.com.

2. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    First off, your link is broken. I don't get it...They charge $35 over and above actual shipping cost and it doesn't include packing. ..so what exactly is it that they do?

3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
  4. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    they look at the board, and they say:

1- you have to get a case

2-you have to pack it and protect the rails

3- you have to go to an amtrack station/UPS and actually drop it there and pay the fees. also get insurance

4- Here, give me $35 bucks, sucker.

5. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Tenfooter wrote:
    :D:D:D

6. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    OK, serious question: If somebody started a halfway decent board shipping company that was known for reliability with longboards, what price would they have to offer so that you wouldn't even think about Amtrak or board trains anymore. What would be the fair price to have a 10-foot board...

a. Shipped with your packaging?

b. Shipped with guaranteed/insured packing provided?

For me, I think I'd answer a: $100 and b: $125. Which is probably less than half the going rate. Anybody else?

7. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    And shapers, what would those prices have to be for you to sign up with that service, assuming you are sending a minimum of five or six boards a month.

8. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    These people definitely look like surfers to me!

Attached files [​IMG]

9. RIer

RIer Member

Jul 17, 2013
    seems like there are two categories of surfboard retailers

mass producers who will easily tap out a local market and who need to find a cheap shipping solution to expand, and

small craftsmen who can't really do the volume for working out a broad based shipping deal to be worth it

the big name shortboard makers generally have reasonable shipping rates (e.g., $50 for CI, $60 for Rusty, $60 for Stretch). When all is said and done, shipping costs are about what you would pay in sales tax at a local shop, so there is really no net cost.

on the other hand, the boutique guys will run you $200ish to ship to East Coast, so this is very significant as we all know.

in the middle are shops like Bing and Christenson who I would think would benefit hugely from working out a shipping deal. this would make them a cost effective alternative to the boutique shapers.

what's interesting to me is a guy like Liddle ships his boards from Kauai to East Coast by FedEx ground for $100.

If Liddle can do that, it is weird to me why other boutique guys and bigger premium shops haven't figured out a cheaper shipping option.

10. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    RIer wrote:
    Last month Ekim and I had his 9'ish Magic Sam and my 10' Glider shipped air freight by Andreini from San Francisco airport to Portland airport, where Ekim picked them up directly at the air freight terminal. Cost we were charged for crating and shipping? A painful $440. Conversely, I can have an 8' semi gun packed and shipped air freight from Oahu to Portland for $100. Makes one wonder why the disparity..