Long simmons curious....

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
For me, any 'Simmons' over 6ft is a lot of board. I had a 5'2" White Pony, custom from Larmo about 10yrs back and was staggered how much foam was packed in there.

McCallum has done a few 'step-up' Simmons, that are narrower all round and I would imagine that those would offer an interesting alternative in clean, shifty open-space type spots where you may need to chase peaks and sections down

Couch

Mar 18, 2018
Santa Barbara
I owned that board you just picked up japson! It is really fun and lively....enjoy. Also had a John Cherry Simm21 at 7'2 and really liked it on open-faced smooth waves but in bigger surf with texture that wide tail and long straight rail -wanted to track and harder to come around off the top say....felt like I really had to muscle it....what a great craftsman though---by far the most technically correct board and beautiful board (Michael Miller California gold glass job) that I have owned.

Couch

Last edited:

Fishy

Aug 22, 2014
I had a 9’6” Mitsven Fish Simmons with three marine ply fins that Bob made for me. It was a beautiful board. The problem was at that length it really didn’t do anything well. It was shaped like a glider and was kind of locked in on the wave but didn’t have enough length to really glide. I only surfed it up to shoulder high and it was definitely better in the bigger waves. I think it would have been really good in big point break waves. Ended up selling to a guy here. I have an 11’2 Mitsven Eagle now. That’s a glider!

thomas

Nov 22, 2016
San Diego
I had a 9’6” Mitsven Fish Simmons with three marine ply fins that Bob made for me. It was a beautiful board. The problem was at that length it really didn’t do anything well. It was shaped like a glider and was kind of locked in on the wave but didn’t have enough length to really glide. I only surfed it up to shoulder high and it was definitely better in the bigger waves. I think it would have been really good in big point break waves. Ended up selling to a guy here. I have an 11’2 Mitsven Eagle now. That’s a glider!
I'm thinking of a 9 footer, all arounder...question...thinking of just a flat to vee instead of channels...?