Long simmons curious....

dingdong

Jan 14, 2013
USA California
I've heard about the wave catching prowess.

About what is the smallest size of Simmons would let you catch fatter waves and paddle like a longboard? Assuming a standard 10'0 log.
this might be an archer vs arrow slippery slope...I need about 7'0 to get longboardish paddling...but I've seen a guy dominate all the longboarders at Doheny on a little 5'5

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
That 6'4" McCallum I had would let me surf knee high mush with little effort and with the right foot placement it would happily swing through turns in a kind of pendulous way....

I've tried to buy it back, but to no avail.

Jan 8, 2011
Netherlands
That 6'4" McCallum I had would let me surf knee high mush with little effort and with the right foot placement it would happily swing through turns in a kind of pendulous way....

I've tried to buy it back, but to no avail.
I think i saw that for sale on the UK FB group. Was a nice one!! At least you know where it is so always a chance to get it back!!

Still love my 6’5 JP Jimmons. I got it from Dutchsurf who is also a member here. Don’t know if he got it from one of you. It’s got balsa rails and blue halfmoon shaped fins. Love it!!

Couch

Mar 18, 2018
Santa Barbara
In my search for the perfect Simmons length for us mere mortals I have tried a bunch and found that 6'8 seems to offer great paddle power but still fun and can be surfed hard if you have the patience to learn how on this type of wide tail board. I let my 7' board go as I felt it was more midlength than Simmons and just too much width/thickness on rail to really rip on......don't be afraid to go shorter than you think you want to in a Simmons.....

Proper_Mode

Jan 8, 2016
USA California
In my search for the perfect Simmons length for us mere mortals I have tried a bunch and found that 6'8 seems to offer great paddle power but still fun and can be surfed hard if you have the patience to learn how on this type of wide tail board. I let my 7' board go as I felt it was more midlength than Simmons and just too much width/thickness on rail to really rip on......don't be afraid to go shorter than you think you want to in a Simmons.....

Just grabbed a 6'4 superchunk for starters but not sure if that counts for a Simmons type. The long Simmons will have to wait.

Lektriz

Mar 15, 2017
Finland
John Cherry shaped be a beautifull 7'2 Simm21 many many years ago, but It was fub overseas but not enogh foam for shit waves at home paddling in a 6/4 boots.

I see a lot of full size simmons with concaves and twin keels but very few with a rolled bottom all the way combined with just a single fin. Apart from Spencer's and Paul Gross boards.

Correct me if I'm wrong but simmons used the concave and keels for more controll in bigger surf.

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
From my experience from surfing variations from 5'8 - 7'0 they are planing demons fast AF. The longer ones go straight flawlessly and if they are a more traditional outline, parallel rails with humongous square tail and the 1/2 moon keels do not really turn very well. At 5'8 my Joe B Simstar was a mind-altering drug. Absolute blast to ride. IMO these boards based on the original concept are best at the shortest end of your skillset. better to go wider and thicker than too long and EPSfor sure. they are meant to ride high in the water.

Last edited:

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
there are a lot of cool variations I'm very intrigued by the winged round tails that Mitsven is doing. this one is 6'4"
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.24.45 AM.png