Long Fish Thoughts

kvg

May 24, 2021
Bay Area, CA
I have a 6'6" Long Phish. It's a really fun board but is really sticky/tracky with keels on it. I've been using the Step Hi-Speed Paddles and that's helped it loosen up a bit. It's fun on long, ripping waves. Not so great at beach breaks.

I have a 6'4" Nautilus on order as my "lazy" shortboard. Will report back once it shows up.

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
Since this has turned into a longer fish thread i will give my two cents. I have a custom Terry Senate Quad fish that is 7'2" x 21.75" x 2.75". Its my go to midlength board when Oceanside is what i would call medium. 4' ish waves.

I have not experienced the front end skittering with this board.

What i like is how easy it is to surf. Does not need quite as steep / powerful of a wave as my 7' egg. Its fast and pretty loose..
but it does feel like too much board. It feels too floaty when i try to dig in the rail as it has that sort of traditional boxy fish rail.

So like above poster said i sort of just trim it down the line fast and do gentle turns.

It basically does not have the loose skatey turning aspects that what i think a fish should have.

seems like 7' is sort of a no mans land.

If i did it again and i just wanted trim speed i would probably go like 8' twin a bit narrower with foiled rails.

If i was more of a ripper and had the skill set to really throw around those skatey fish turns i would guess like mid 6' range.

CantDecide

Oct 19, 2020
North County San Diego
+1 for the JH Piseas with high aspect twin fins.... Small, medium, big(ish), draining, mushy, lined up or sectiony... Those things just lap it all up.

Friend has a Vouch Vish, which he raves about. Lots of template curve, no trackiness, fast.

I rode a 6'8" x 21" x 2 3/4" Piseas for about 9 months straight in 2019 all over San Diego. It worked in basically everything. I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs for reference. I loved that board.

Also, if you want some more footage of surfing a long fish, check out Hydrodynamica on Instagram (its Richard Kenvin). Lots of footage of him surfing a 6'9" Frye long fish and 7'3" long fish from Burch.

Members online