Long Fish Thoughts

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
VENICE
POST TITLE UPDATED

Howdy,

I'm looking at ordering a custom christenson long phish. I'm stuck between the 6'8-7'8 range. Unsure exactly which size to pull the trigger on. 6'11, 7'3 are of most interest to me. I'd surf it around locally but also would bring as a travel board with a longboard.

Shot in the dark but does anybody happen to have a long phish in the LA area in that range? I would to do a temp trade for a couple of sessions so I can get a feel. LMK if you're down.

Also, if you just have general thoughts on the shape/size. I would love to hear it.

Last edited:

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
my buddy has the 6'11' he lives in venice. I have no idea if he would let you ride it... he is a very nice guy though so it might work out.

send me a DM with your cell # and i will hook you guys up.

I know he likes it but has said he wished it was just a bit larger as it needs some wave to work in the 6'11"

Bummer Dude

Jul 8, 2019
Oak View
I picked up a 6'8" Larry Mabile Quad Fish earlier this year. My regular fish is 6'2" so I was skeptical that the extra 6 inches would bring all that much different to the party. But man do I love it. Great compromise of glide and maneuverability, can surf it off my back foot or take a step forward and trim a bit. Very good paddler, I use it often for higher tide beach breaks. Not sure how it compares to the CC long phish - you can check out the outline here: https://mollusksurfshop.com/collections/surfboard-archive/products/68-mabile-quad-fish-140521

If you're ever up in Ventura, Im happy to lend it to you for a sesh.

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
VENICE
I picked up a 6'8" Larry Mabile Quad Fish earlier this year. My regular fish is 6'2" so I was skeptical that the extra 6 inches would bring all that much different to the party. But man do I love it. Great compromise of glide and maneuverability, can surf it off my back foot or take a step forward and trim a bit. Very good paddler, I use it often for higher tide beach breaks. Not sure how it compares to the CC long phish - you can check out the outline here: https://mollusksurfshop.com/collections/surfboard-archive/products/68-mabile-quad-fish-140521

If you're ever up in Ventura, Im happy to lend it to you for a sesh.
Damn, sick one! You scored.

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
I found having my back foot planted over, or just very slightly ahead of the fins on long fishes puts way too much board out front if they're close to 7'. Board slaps and hops and in general that front 8 to 10 inches just never gets wet. My favored length for these is 6'3 to 6'5. I'm 6'2. These are not good turners from center.

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
VENICE
I found having my back foot planted over, or just very slightly ahead of the fins on long fishes puts way too much board out front if they're close to 7'. Board slaps and hops and in general that front 8 to 10 inches just never gets wet. My favored length for these is 6'3 to 6'5. I'm 6'2. These are not good turners from center.
Valid!

bobsacamano

Jul 16, 2020
Bay Area
I have a 6'10 Long Phish and agree with this. Love the board, though. I have shorter boards that turn better, but it's still so fun on a fast, clean wave. Also has quite a large range.

Last edited:

Syncro

Nov 1, 2021
Ocean Beach
Road my buddies 9'11 DR, and lets talk about some slap and having board out in front of you lmao

Members online