Long Fish Simmons - Sizing

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SDA, Feb 9, 2015.

1. SDA

SDA New Member

Oct 19, 2010
    I am in the market for a LFSQ from Josh Hall, and was curious about what sizes people ride. I am ready to order however I cannot decide on the size. I was thinking anywhere from 6'8" to 7'0" in length could work - I am approx 6'2" and 190 pounds.

What length do you ride? Do you order stock dims? Or do you modify anything (eg. thinner or wider)?

Any info would be much appreciated.

2. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I have a 7'0 quad fish Simmons and a 9'0 tri fish Simmons from Josh on my wish list. Although this information will be no help to you at all:)

3. tim760

tim760 Member

Oct 10, 2012
    USA California
    I'm 6'4 215lbs. Have surfed a 6'6" and a 7'1" (one is a Christenson and one is a Mabile but they are similar shapes to the JHall). The 6'6" works great in medium to bigger surf and performs almost like a shortboard. The 7'1" is like a skatey mid-length, if that makes any sense. Works great in anything from small to medium large. I prefer a narrower board in larger surf, but I know some people love these in head high+. Bottom line though, they are both great boards and its a shape I highly recommend.

4. mgarbutt

mgarbutt Active Member

Apr 5, 2011
    USA Delaware
    Truly depends on how you want it to ride & who is shaping it. I like to make them real thinned out, so they tend to be a bit longer this way. If you want it smaller than you can add a little more foam. Just depends on who is shaping it & what you are looking for, endless possibilities with surfboards.

5. sk8thom

sk8thom Active Member

Jul 10, 2007
    USA California
    mgarbutt wrote:
    Concur, also throw into the mix where you plan on surfing it. I am 6'2" 250 lbs. and like my paddle speed. I ordered and have a 9'2" x 25" x 3 1/2" Orbicular Simmons that is great. Plus at 9'2" it fits in the back of my truck. :D

6. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    I am looking at a board like this or perhaps an speedier egg(like a Tak Howard Mini) for when the waves are a little more juicy. Wise choice? Any negatives or positives I should know about? I live and surf in N. County San Diego

7. SMUKES

SMUKES Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Hi, I've had I think 4 so far from Josh. I'm 6'1 & 200lbs/ 50 years old. 6'8" is the optimal length for this surfboard. Let Josh decide all other dims like thickness. Christenson's are similar in outline only. I point this out as Josh scrubs out the concaves really deep so the thickness is important to insure the rocker stays good and flat along the rails but popped inside those concaves. Good choice, skate legend Natas just got one! Dont be afraid to put a deck patch also, these things are really fast and inspire a beating. Have fun.

PauLaner likes this.
  8. SMUKES

SMUKES Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Re bigger surf: Ive done Swamis and Malibu pretty big...points that are not top to bottom or that heavy. Pitching surf will kick your ass cuz the tail is so wide and has so much going on what with the concaves and fins and shit. The eggs will stay closer to the pocket and be like a 3 speed tranny. Quads, especially with 1-2 cons like a bonzer have 6 gears. Your challenge will be scrubbing speed.

9. SMUKES

SMUKES Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    6'8" profile. Jhall LFSQ.

Attached files
    [​IMG]

10. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    as said by others(smukes knows his fish)...i have a 6'8 and a 7' JH lfq i am 6'1 and 200 to 215...and 61 & both work great. the 6'8 is a better bigger wave board for me and the 7'er is nice in smaller and bigger point surf. just got a pavel 7'5 lfq it is a little thinner and it is working great in this recent swell in cali on points, not as much concave near the fins.